We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dangerous fish??!!??

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
148 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
dangerous fish??!!??

I have just been viewing some of the traveller photos on this site.I have been snorkelling before and really enjoy seeing the fish but some of these things look like beasts of the deep! Hammer head sharks,lion fish, moray eels! Should the waters of Sharm carry a health warning. Who can steady my nerves and tell me which ones are dangerous how to avoid them and what the likelihood of me meeting them is!

The Queen Vic
₹₹ - ₹₹₹, Bar, British, Pub
El Kababgy
₹₹₹₹, Grill, Egyptian, Barbecue
House of Spice
₹₹ - ₹₹₹, Indian, Asian
Burton, United...
Level Contributor
1,565 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: dangerous fish??!!??

Being a seafisherman..I would be careful of steping on the stone fish that are there in there waters also not tuch or go near to the lion fish..And ware rubber shoes at all times in the water...Chris

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
148 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: dangerous fish??!!??

Thanks, are these type of things mostly in deep water? Sorry, I'm a bit of a wimp!

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,863 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: dangerous fish??!!??

Hi Ditto above - no they are seen in shallow water. Saw both on a jetty in Naama in knee deep water amongst the coral. Dont disturb them and you should be ok.

coventry
Level Contributor
2,729 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: dangerous fish??!!??

Hi Kittie

You will be fine ... the sharks ate all the dangerous fish.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,745 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: dangerous fish??!!??

Hi,

Here's an old thread with some details on of ones to watch for, just in case Bassett's shark missed a few:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g297555-i9225-k131…

Regards

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2,471 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: dangerous fish??!!??

I like to play it safe and snorkel in very deep water on an organised snorkelling trip. If you walk out from the beach you can sometimes unavoidably stand on coral, or stand on something nasty!! I once saw a nasty like snake in about four inches of water and totally freaked and couldnt get back to the shore quick enough. However, out in the deep, the coral is as magnificent to look at as the fish are!

Ramsgate
Level Contributor
468 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: dangerous fish??!!??

excellent advice from sea angler. Two weeks ago we saw stone fish/lion fish and sea snakes. Sea snakes in very shallow water no more than six inches on three occassions seems if you dont annoy them they will leave you alone. Deffinately wear rubber shoes one guest said she stood on an urchin which pearced through even the sole of the rubber shoe (ouch) Would not want to put anyone off the whole snorkelling experience we enjoyed it so much we are looking to go back before Christmas. Be sencible you will have a great time Karen X

Redhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
4,072 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: dangerous fish??!!??

There are no sea snakes in the sharm area,fact.If you read any of the many sea creature books about sea life in the area it states that there are no sea snakes that far up the red sea,it is not the right temperature for them.You may have seen a snake eel,an eel that is often mistaken for a snake as that is what it is trying to look like.To say "try to avoid" stepping on a stone fish is a bit of an onderstatement.They are the most venomous fish in the world.Having said that the chances of seeing one are pretty rare.The biggest danger to a snorkler/swimmer is probably the fire coral,not fatal by any means,but painful for a very long time.

Ramsgate
Level Contributor
468 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: dangerous fish??!!??

Mr Small I would have agreed with you and in fact argued that there was not sea snakes in the area however people who are better informed than me and indeed some of the local lads were very clear this was not eels. Global warming?????? I am familiar with eels. Out of interest several snorkellers reported seeing rays we didnt and felt quite glad about that not sure how I would have reacted if Id seen one of those creatures while under the water.

Burton, United...
Level Contributor
1,565 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: dangerous fish??!!??

Quote...from post..They are the most venomous fish in the world.Having said that the chances of seeing one are pretty rare.The biggest danger to a snorkler/swimmer is probably the fire coral,not fatal by any means,but painful for a very long time.

Also very good advice...The stone fish is of the same verity as found in Australia and very (deadly)...And the camouflage of the stone fish is very very hard to see in shallow water (also found in rock pools)taking on the camouflage of a rock or stone hence stone fish....The lion fish speaks for it self...Has the same sting as to our lesser weaver fish hear in england and can be dangerous if any one has a allergic action to them(Ten time more powerful than a wasp or hornet sting)

One useful tip i use when snorkeling(I know it may sound daft)Is i always take a painted length(In red) of cane with me some two foot long(fits in the case)This i use when snorkeling i hold up so others can see...This you can use to move your self away from carol or ward of any thing that comes around you....And use you own imagination if there are any sharks around...I would sooner you the cane than my hand if one did come around to prod away...lol...

Also the advice about carol do not touch (ANY of it)The Brain coral(yellowish in color) and fire coral stings badly...And keep a depth of three feet under you while snorkeling allowing for the sea swell as it can plunge you on to the coral with out knowing it.....

I have never been to Shalm as next year will be the first time there...But have snorkeled in Mexico (The Mayan Riviera) that has the second largest reef in the world and also in Thailand (Koe chang island)so i do know a little as to what i am talking about...From other professional advise i have been given....