We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ciggies - Anyone took the chance

Nottingham
Level Contributor
130 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Ciggies - Anyone took the chance

Hi Folks

Off to the CSR in June and just been checking the price of cigs on the forum. It seems that it's about £6 for 200 L&M.

Now at that price I was thinking about taking 2000 back home. I appreciate you can only bring 200 back but I wondered if anyone has been caught? I have never been stopped at Customs when coming home and I assume the worst that can happen is you lose them?

What's the customs like in Sharm? Do they check for extra duty free when returning home?

Blairgowrie, United...
Level Contributor
166 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ciggies - Anyone took the chance

when we were ther last year in july , i saw a lot of people getting ciggies taken off them, i smoke but wouldn,t take the risk.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
89 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ciggies - Anyone took the chance

Of course this is totally illegal, however a 'friend' of mine brought 2000 back one year and wasn't stopped. As for the customs in Sharm i dont think they are too concerned but cigs are as cheap in the airport once your through the checks that side. It's luck (or bad luck, whatever) if you get pulled UK side and they will take them off you or allow you to pay the duty if caught.

It's one of those things, have 200 on you and they won't bother even checking, but the time you take more......

Nottingham
Level Contributor
130 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ciggies - Anyone took the chance

jeraldine - Was that in the UK or in Sharm ?

Blairgowrie, United...
Level Contributor
166 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ciggies - Anyone took the chance

it was in sharm quite a few folk got cigs taken from them but once they were through they went straight to duty free, when we landed in glasgow there was no one at customs.

Nottingham
Level Contributor
130 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ciggies - Anyone took the chance

So the moral of the story is to buy your ciggies at the duty free in sharm, but then there is nowhere to hide the buggers!!

sussex
Level Contributor
1,587 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ciggies - Anyone took the chance

Buy them in resort and pack them in your case. Never had any problem leaving sharm airport with them and it is the luck of the draw whether you get stopped at Gatwick

nottingham
Level Contributor
169 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Ciggies - Anyone took the chance

Or even better..........stop smoking!!!1

That way you wont get the buggers taken off you!!!

LOL

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
167 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ciggies - Anyone took the chance

When we went to Turkey we bought back 3000. Put them in the suitcase, should be ok. Nothing more enjoyable than puffing on a fag, with a beer in your hand.

LANCASTER
Level Contributor
209 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ciggies - Anyone took the chance

hi cisco,

went to sharm last year & hubby brought 3000 back & 1800 the year be4 never got stoped.

sharm4.x

Nottingham
Level Contributor
130 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ciggies - Anyone took the chance

In all the times I have been abroad I have never been stopped but you can guarantee the first time I bring a shed load back I will get stopped. I will spread them out across 3 suitcases but I imagine if you get stopped they check all 3.

And yes, stopping smoking would would be the best thing ;-)

Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh