We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Divers and Snorkellers - beware the dangerous speedboats!

Kent
Level Contributor
217 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Divers and Snorkellers - beware the dangerous speedboats!

We have recently returned from our fourth visit to Sharm, staying this time at the Baron Palms Resort (for the second time.) We go for the fabulous snorkelling, but were horrified by the introduction of speedboats at the resort since our last visit in November. The outlook from the beach used to be idyllic - the odd tanker ship meandering past Tiran Island - and the dive boats slowly arriving and mooring off-shore - bliss! But now the peace is shattered by speedboats whizzing up and down Ras Nasrani towing banana-boats. The speedboats then moor at the end of the pontoons, which were specifically designed and intended for divers and snorkellers to enter the sea. On one occasion whilst snorkelling, one of these boats reversed towards me with the driver shouting "no problem, no problem." Excuse me, I don't think so! After complaining to the hotel manager, an additional piece of pontoon was added for the boats to use. But they are still ejecting theiir fuel emissions directly onto the coral which, of course, will help to destroy it. On putting this point to the manager, I was told that a paddled dinghy would be used in future to ferry people from the pontoon to the boats. I am not a killjoy, but most people tend to come here for the diving and snorkelling. It is the safety issue that concerns me most. On one particular day, where the speedboats had been whizzing up and down earlier, we saw snorkellers in the very same spot. I am dreading a serious, or even fatal, accident if these speedboats continue to operate in this way. I have appealed to the hotel management for "Bobo's boats" to be banished from Ras Nasrani - we''ll see. Any comments greatly appreciated. Thanks. Bob.

Mentioned in this post
Baron Palms Resort Sharm El Sheikh
Baron Palms Resort Sharm...
3,582 Reviews
Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt
Tiran Island
Tiran Island
6,179 Reviews
Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt
Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
1,624 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Divers and Snorkellers - beware the dangerous speedboats!

Excellent point. Remember that this is the way that Kirsty McColl the singer (and probably many others) was killed while diving off Mexico.

Kent
Level Contributor
217 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Divers and Snorkellers - beware the dangerous speedboats!

Thanks Tim. You're right about Kirsty - it just shows it can happen to anyone. I am saddened at the thought of what Sharm will possibly be like in 10, or even 5 years time - especially the coral.

London
Level Contributor
870 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Divers and Snorkellers - beware the dangerous speedboats!

These type of things really bother me. the sad fact is that

a) MOST tourists now that visit sharm do not go there to dive, and therefore do not have the same respect for the marine environment

b) The tourist industry there with the exception of the dive schools are solely interested in cash rather than preserving the coral reefs.

Give it 3 years and the divers will dissapear and it will end up like benidorm - although bizzarley enough rather then full of English guests it will be 70% russian, 25% Italian and maybe 5% english

You can see it already - disco music by the pool all day, with "HOTEL ENTERTAINMENT" - which is effectively required for the intellectually and spiritually challenged idiots we all see on times when we are in sharm. Yes the same people who like to use coral reefs as a walkway!

ARRGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The reefs at sharm are so badly wrecked already, I spend so much ttime picking up rubbish whilst snorkelling! To have to deal with a blooming speedboat as well is just not on - please, if this is your idea of a perfect holiday- go to alton towers or the greek island and please leave sharm to those that love the sea and all the cool little critters that live in it!!!!!!!

Well done for complaining, these things need to be raised!

London
Level Contributor
870 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Divers and Snorkellers - beware the dangerous speedboats!

sorry - my post is a bit over the top, but I get so upset about these things. Just wish everone else had the same ethos as us divers!

Kent
Level Contributor
217 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Divers and Snorkellers - beware the dangerous speedboats!

Not over the top at all, Thescubabear - glad that there are more of you guys out there who are just as passionate about this issue as I am. I will continue to be a pain to the hotels at this resort regarding this problem - fruitless maybe, but you have to try.

Scotland
Level Contributor
736 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Divers and Snorkellers - beware the dangerous speedboats!

We're not divers in the least, but we're very disappointed to hear about banana boats etc, didn't expect that at all!

Really hope it's just a one off, and they are not going to go down the Benidorm route (Not that there's anything wrong with Benidorm) but the coral is in enough trouble as it is by all accounts!

Shame to hear that!

Arthur

Mentioned in this post
Benidorm
Benidorm
Costa Blanca, Spain
Manchester
Level Contributor
153 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Divers and Snorkellers - beware the dangerous speedboats!

Could not agree more, we said at the time how close the boats were to swimmers, people are so vunerable when they are in the water. Why spoil the beauty that they have in the sea, just to make a few extra pounds.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,753 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Divers and Snorkellers - beware the dangerous speedboats!

Hi,

No need to apologise ScubaBear - well said! We've been to Sharm for the last 3 Xmas's / New Year & saw a definite change this last year. I'm not "undoing" all my praises on this forum for Sharm, but I do wonder how long it will be able to retain it's charm before it becomes another Benidorm, Magaluf etc.

Regards

Mentioned in this post
Benidorm
Benidorm
Costa Blanca, Spain
Norfolk, England
Level Contributor
346 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Divers and Snorkellers - beware the dangerous speedboats!

Here here.

Sigh, have never been but the reason i picked sharm was the coral and snorkelling and the fact it isnt like all those other places with banana boats etc.

Pleeeeease Sharm dont do it!!

Swansea, United...
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
10,014 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Divers and Snorkellers - beware the dangerous speedboats!

Hi All

Wholeheartedly agree. Neph, if you notice the difference in 3 years, you can imagine how I feel! The first time I went was 1995, it was absolutely wonderful, I do understand they need tourists, the money is essential to Egypt, the hotels have been built (most of them) now they have to fill them, I'm as glad as anyone else that the prices are cheap, but unfortunately most (and I generalise) that are going now are not going for the snorkeling and diving, I just hope that they will get to love these things as much as we do and perhaps will want to look after them for future generations.

In my opinion, they shouldn't have started AI and they certainly shouldn't have banana boats - they are unneccessary, there are so many other things to do, I also think the very loud beach music is unneccessary also, they should consider everyone and that can be a real pain and I'm not a fuddy duddy - honest.

Perhaps it needs and effort like we had for the Dolphin Show and everyone boycott and complain about the things that are destroying Sharm, don't forget the dive boats are just as harmful!!!! Oh can of worms......

Regards

Barbara

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa