We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Dahab?

UK
Level Contributor
59 posts
27 reviews
11 helpful votes
Where to stay in Dahab?

Hi everyone

Have finally decided that this is my holiday destination this year.

Having originally thought about doing and All Inclusive to save the hassle factor, I then looked at flight time with the package holiday operators - eugh - my days of flying at 1 am are well and truly over!

Also started to read a bit more on here about Dahab and it sounds like there's plenty of places to eat out and of course Easy Jet fly here.

SO my next quest is to find a hotel with B and B. We'll be coming for a week or so in early March (can be a bit flexible on dates). Planning to do a trip or two, but the main reason for coming is to just chill out in the warmth and read a book or 10! Ideally it would be great to find a hotel that has a garden with chairs/loungers as being a 'carrot top', sunbathing for me is limited! We like to swim in the sea though. Our raving days are over so bars/clubs not really important.

The Tropitel Oasis isn't getting great reviews (can book very cheaply for the week though...maybe this is why!), and I wondered what the Dahab Paradise is like?

Don't mind a short walk - 10-15 mins to the restaurants, in fact this would be better than being in the middle of it.

Any other suggestions for hotels would be great, mid range budget ideally, but would be prepared to pay a bit extra for somewhere that suited us

Thanks in advance!

SB

Sutton
Level Contributor
76 posts
7 reviews
12 helpful votes
1. Re: Where to stay in Dahab?

The beauty of Dahab is you don't have to commit. Book your flight and reserve a room and ask to get picked up from the airport. Pay for a couple of nights and then you can have a look around. Personally, I will never again stay in a big hotel, there are so many smaller hotels that are locally owned which have a much greater 'Egyptian' vibe. You can be in the middle of it because a lot of the hotels on the strip are tucked backwards so you can't hear any noise (apart from the call to prayer). I stayed at the Alaska which is clean and basic, no telly or pool. And there are plenty of others to choose from. But there is very little beach as such, the sea shelves very steeply. Still loved it and can't wait to go back.

BUT be warned - Dahab's big problem is it's waste disposal, or lack of it! This will be apparent if you go off the tourist track. Also a fair amount of hassle but mostly manageable.

Have fun.

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
2 reviews
8 helpful votes
2. Re: Where to stay in Dahab?

I like the idea of booking only a few days, and then decide about the rest, but also if someone doesn't want to move around once settled. I would look for something between Sheikh Salem House on the north and the Mashraba area in the south. Further south the Laguna and the higher end hotels are too far out for my liking. The stretch between the bridge and the Light House is the busiest. It is generally hassle free.

Dahab does have a problem with rubbish, but is not a dirty city by any means. It is absolutely clean along the sea, and even further in it is not bad. We tourists and people working in the tourism industry create rubbish.

Edited: 27 January 2011, 16:28
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
20 reviews
36 helpful votes
3. Re: Where to stay in Dahab?

We came home last night from Dahab, stayed in the 4ssss b&b, great little hotel. Friendly staff, clean and quiet, 5 mins from the centre of town and sea front. Would recommend it, we will be goin back.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
590 posts
76 reviews
75 helpful votes
4. Re: Where to stay in Dahab?

http://www.alternativeegypt.com/Dahab/ I keep sending this link but it's because it was really useful for us when we were trying to suss everything out before our trip last December. It was used in conjunction with a lot of other searching as well

I'm with you on the package flights - no thankyou, been there done that and got the t.shirt. It's really easy to do this independently.

Edited: 05 February 2011, 18:46
UK
Level Contributor
59 posts
27 reviews
11 helpful votes
5. Re: Where to stay in Dahab?

thanks for the replies everyone

In the end we booked for a week at the Dahab Paradise even though it's a little out of town and flying on good old Squeezyjet.

Off in a few weeks, can't wait!

Samos, Greece
Level Contributor
189 posts
70 reviews
62 helpful votes
6. Re: Where to stay in Dahab?

After making several very expensive trips and booking with differnt sites I have found the best way to book is to book with the airlines directly on line. For a trip to Dahab that requires 3 flights-- from where I live to major airport then from there to Cairo then on to Sharm the best I got from tickets on line was 795, but if booked separtely with major airlines on line it came out to 356 euro. Egyptian air has Cairo - Dahab 64 euro R/T, so I think booking with the country's airline is the best way to go.

7. Re: Where to stay in Dahab?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 03:47
Get answers to your questions about Dahab