We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Dahab Safe for Western Tourists?

Los Gatos...
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Topic
Is Dahab Safe for Western Tourists?

There are government warnings about traveling to Sinai and Sharm. Would like to hear from those who have visited recently, is Dahab safe? Why/why not? Thanks.

16 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
8,931 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Dahab Safe for Western Tourists?

Had a quick read of the State Department's website and didn't see any special warnings about Sharm. Sinai, apart from Sharm and its nearby resorts is often made an "essential travel only" area and Sharm's airport (just the airport, not Sharm) is on the UK's ETO list.

There are loads of safety-in-Egypt threads currently running. You should read through some to get a idea of current thinking but, to sum up, the tourist parts of Egypt are thought to be as safe or safer than anywhere.

Edited: 02 September 2017, 20:21
Nuweiba
Destination Expert
for Nuweiba, Dahab, South Sinai
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Dahab Safe for Western Tourists?

I have driven between Nuweiba, Taba, Dahab, Sharm, Tor and Cairo loads of times.... over a period of well over 20 years, more than 400 times. I and all the other residents and visitors to the area would not feel that Dahab and the surrounding area is any more unsafe than any other part of Egypt or many parts of Europe for that matter.

Due to the vast amount of violent crimes in London this year I am very much more wary about walking around parts of London than around Dahab and its area.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Dahab Safe for Western Tourists?

I have just spent 5 days in Dahab. No trouble at all.

Dahab
Level Contributor
148 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Dahab Safe for Western Tourists?

There are many foreigners living in Dahab. A lovely community of all nationalities, Bedouins and Egyptains.

Great atmosphere.

We wouldn't live here if we felt unsafe.

I hope that helps,

Foiona

colchester
Level Contributor
451 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Dahab Safe for Western Tourists?

Travel there twice a year UK even though we are advised not to by our government. Feel as safe there as anywhere.

Maribor, Slovenia
Level Contributor
2 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Dahab Safe for Western Tourists?

What is the current situation in Dahab? I am planning to spend the end of the year there and I'm really nervous reading about the situation.

Luxembourg
Level Contributor
5,919 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Dahab Safe for Western Tourists?

what about . . . https:/…winteraktivitaten

Level Contributor
5 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Dahab Safe for Western Tourists?

Just spent 3 days in Dahab. It was quiet and we had no problems. There are plenty of checkpoints monitoring who is entering and leaving the town so it seems pretty bottled up.

Kos
Level Contributor
2,129 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Dahab Safe for Western Tourists?

Just spend five days in Dahab with my children and husband. Everything was fine I just love it there. We go every Nivember but the day after we left there was a bomb at a mosque in North Sinai but that is so far from Dahab. I felt totally safe which is more than I can say about being in london

Maribor, Slovenia
Level Contributor
2 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Dahab Safe for Western Tourists?

Just spent 14 days in Dahab. No problems at all! Peaceful, nice, friendly people... We actualy drove all the way from Eilat to Dahab and back by bus as we have a flight from Eilat and there were no problems at all, allthough many check-points and some military presence near the road..

Reply to: Is Dahab Safe for Western Tourists?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Dahab
Recent Conversations