We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

EMETABE airlines - are they still in Business? Reliable ?

Boston...
Level Contributor
10 posts
193 reviews
112 helpful votes
EMETABE airlines - are they still in Business? Reliable ?
Save

I am flying to San Cristobol July 26, 2022, with LATAM Then, I hope, flying to Isabella on July 30 and back to SC August 4, with Emetabe. I bought my tickets 9 days ago, listening to their not so truthful warnings about scarcity of tickets.

Looking at their receipt, I had some questions about their additional charges. Wrote a letter, asking for a proper invoice and how is it that they have a parent company to process their payments, for an additional charge, under a different name. My credit card charge has no mentioning of Emitabe. I thought it was shady.

Well, shadier yet is their non answering my email for over a week. I feel very uncomfortable about that credit charge of $300+ for a round trip ticket to SCY- Isabella. Tried to contact them from web site - no answers. The chatting agent was not available when I was buying tickets, nor since then.

So, I decided that I might be safer with either buying their ticket last minute, or going to Isabella by boat. Wrote them, asking for refund of my payment. Again no answer. Have never had such experience and wonder if it is fraud.

How to contact them in writing? Who is in charge there>

4 replies to this topic
Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
4,754 posts
19 reviews
21 helpful votes
1. Re: EMETABE airlines - are they still in Business? Reliable ?
Save

Dear Idea,

I was in Galapagos last month and saw the Emetebe plane. I have no reason to believe they are not currently operating. They've been around for at least 25 years. Others who have recently used them may confirm. They do have a reputation for poor customer service.

You'll have a wonderful time.

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
208 posts
9 reviews
7 helpful votes
2. Re: EMETABE airlines - are they still in Business? Reliable ?
Save

We used them three times this past February and had no issue at all. It is not uncommon for a smaller company in another country to outsource their online payment portal.

We found them very easy to fly with and they emailed us the confirmed departure time a few days before our flight. They were also responsive in their online chat on their website.

Have a great trip!

Boston...
Level Contributor
10 posts
193 reviews
112 helpful votes
3. Re: EMETABE airlines - are they still in Business? Reliable ?
Save

Well they are in business, despite being phenomenally disorganized in every respect LOL.

The flight to Isabela left sometime after it was supposed to arrive to Isabela, The check in of two flights was a disaster. The flight back left a few minutes before :)

But the flights themselves were GREAT fun. Should be less expensive, IMO, particularly for the EC residents

TJ
Level Contributor
106 posts
4. Re: EMETABE airlines - are they still in Business? Reliable ?
Save

They definitely have poor customer service. Literally the only local place that has hassled us about covid cancellations. The last email we had from them was after quite a bit of fighting saying "we have changed our policy and you can reschedule for later, let us know when you have dates". This was in May 2020. When we let them know our new dates, they replied with "its been nearly 2 years, clearly we won't be honouring this"

Uhhh, refund us then? You never said there was any time limit or anything.

Every other accomodation, tour, and local transportation was an absolute breeze to deal with.

Edited: 17 August 2022, 20:45
Reply to: EMETABE airlines - are they still in Business? Reliable ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about San Cristobal