We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galapagos in September

Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
1 helpful vote
Galapagos in September
Save

Hello :) I am currently exploring San Cristobal for a possible September/October trip. Has anyone been this time of year? I'm reading mixed reviews regarding the weather and water temperatures. I would be wanting to snorkel and I don't mind if it's a bit chilly if the views are worth it. I would love to hear feedback from anyone who has visited this time of year. Thank you!

3 replies to this topic
Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
4,696 posts
19 reviews
21 helpful votes
1. Re: Galapagos in September
Save

Dear Kendra,

I lived in Galapagos for four years. September is the cooler month - with cooler water temperatures (full wetsuit will be appreciated). Waters tend to be choppier then as well, but visibility is better on average. As for wildlife, it's great all year round - there is no particular season that is significantly better than another for that, unless there is one specific thing you want to see (baby iguanas, for example).

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

14 posts
2. Re: Galapagos in September
Save

September will be cold in the water. If you rent a wetsuit, go for the long sleeved ones and make sure it fits like a glove otherwise you'll be freezing. https://www.georges-backpackingguides.com/blog/cost-visiting-galapagos-islands-independently-complete-guide/#When_to_Visit

Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
1 helpful vote
3. Re: Galapagos in September
Save

Wonderful, thank you!

Reply to: Galapagos in September
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about San Cristobal