We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for taxi for non-Spanish speaker from MDE to Poblado

Level Contributor
23 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Advice for taxi for non-Spanish speaker from MDE to Poblado

So I'm going to Medellin for the first time and my airbnb host isn't providing me with transportation so I will need to take a taxi from the airport to El Poblado. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Maybe a website or something? I want something affordable hopefully.

13 replies to this topic
CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,847 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for taxi for non-Spanish speaker from MDE to Poblado

It's generally 65-75k pesos, if you are looking to save a bit talk up some other travelers at baggage claim and share a ride , or take a collectivo taxi - a shared ride, the taxis are white for that, the bus is 8k pesos to Centro where you can grab a taxi from there, just have the address written down to give to taxi driver , ask price upfront, within city taxis have meters

Level Contributor
23 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for taxi for non-Spanish speaker from MDE to Poblado

Thanks so much CDY. Should I have the driver write down the price for me? Also do they have ATM's at the airport?

Also where would I find the white taxis?

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,847 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for taxi for non-Spanish speaker from MDE to Poblado

Yes they have a AtM at the airport , also a money exchange, not good rates but ok to change enough money for a day , yes you can ask them to write down the price but have a pen and paper so they can do it,

All the cabs are right outside the doors after you exit baggage claim. No way to miss them

Medellin
Level Contributor
3,864 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice for taxi for non-Spanish speaker from MDE to Poblado

The fee is a set fee of 65,000 pesos to Poblado; there will be a host who will allocate you the taxi; make sure that he states the fee so the driver knows you know.

Level Contributor
23 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice for taxi for non-Spanish speaker from MDE to Poblado

Okay thanks so much guys!

Level Contributor
23 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice for taxi for non-Spanish speaker from MDE to Poblado

One last question. Regarding ATM's at the airport, since I dont speak Spanish do you know how I can get there? I read something about it being on the 2nd floor, not in the baggage claim area? Can I get to the ATM without having to go through security?

I ask because I know in the Dominican Republic at SDQ people landing go straight through customs and then exit with no access to ATM's. Only people checking in for a flight after going through security get access to airport money exchange and atm's.

Medellin
Level Contributor
3,864 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice for taxi for non-Spanish speaker from MDE to Poblado

It is very easy, where you come out, there will be stairs or an elevator to take you up to the departures level. No security etc, and plenty of ATM's to choose from. The airport is very small.

Level Contributor
23 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice for taxi for non-Spanish speaker from MDE to Poblado

And I can do this after I exit customs and baggage claim?

Sorry for all of the questions. I'm just a bit nervous not speaking the language

Medellin
Level Contributor
3,864 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice for taxi for non-Spanish speaker from MDE to Poblado

Yes, if coming international you will go through immigration and then customs (usually quick and easy), once passing the customs doors, you will be in the open terminal and a massive throng of people waiting for their friends etc. Go straight ahead and you will see some little food shops and some stairs (to your right will be the doors leading out of the terminal building where taxis are), just head up, use the ATM and then back down again for your taxi. Very easy and quick and nothing to worry about. For your taxi, have the address written down.

Level Contributor
23 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice for taxi for non-Spanish speaker from MDE to Poblado

Thanks you guys are life-savers!!

Reply to: Advice for taxi for non-Spanish speaker from MDE to Poblado
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted