We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 Days in Medellin - good itinerary?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
98 posts
42 reviews
3 Days in Medellin - good itinerary?

Hey! I'll be traveling in Colombia for 2 weeks in early November, and have allotted 3 days for Medellin (including a day trip to Guatape). I was hoping to get some feedback on my itinerary and see if there's anything I should add or reconsider.

For reference, I'm a 24 year old female budget traveler, and I'll be traveling alone. My favorite travel activities are pretty relaxed and chilled out - I like walking around sightseeing, eating/drinking in a place where I can people-watch, trying new foods, looking at architecture, and spending time in nature. Basically just soaking in the sights, sounds, and culture as much as I can.

*Tuesday: Travel to Medellin from Salento (bus, 6 hours)

*Wednesday: Real City Free Walking Tour 9:15am - 1:15pm (I'm told I'll see many of the "main" sites like Plaza Botero); visit Jardin Botanico; ride cable car (to Santo Domingo or Parque Arvi?)

*Thursday: Real City Exotic Fruits Tour 9:45am - 12:15pm; Paragliding in the afternoon

*Friday: Day trip to Guatape & El Penol

*Saturday: Fly to Santa Marta

Things I'm not sure if I should include/have time to include: Museo de Antioquia, Pueblito Paisa, El Castillo Museo y Jardines, Parque Explora

Also, any recommendations on hostels? I'm leaning towards Black Sheep but have also heard good things about Geo Hostel, El Alternativo, The Wandering Paisa and a few others. There's so many to choose from that all have great reviews! I'd like to stay somewhere that's in a good area (probably El Poblado) and is social enough that I can meet other people and sign up for activities (like the day trip to Guatapa and paragliding) but will allow me to head to bed relatively early...so probably not Happy Buddha or Casa Kiwi.

Thanks in advance for any tips or suggestions! Absolutely can't wait for this trip!

Medellin
Level Contributor
4,838 posts
196 reviews
1. Re: 3 Days in Medellin - good itinerary?

The Blacksheep is a well run hotel, in a great location, so it is a good choice. It is in Patio Bonito, which is about a 15 / 20 minute walk away from the main nightlife area, but close enough to enjoy. You will be right next to some basic food places, a massive supermarket and the Metro is right there. It is also close to Manilo, which has some nice restaurants and is not too bad to wander around.

pueblito Paisa is worth a visit in my opinion. Nice area with good views over the city.

I would drop Parque Explorer and maybe El Castillo if you run out of time (which I think you do).

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Medellin
Level Contributor
3,994 posts
100 reviews
2. Re: 3 Days in Medellin - good itinerary?

While in Medellin, not sure what day you will be there, but one early evening - travel to Sabaneta by bus or metro and have dinner at Viejo Johns - and then a drink in the parque - 1/2 block away - great place to sit and relax and people watch - get away from Parque LLeras which is ground zero for young tourists.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
98 posts
42 reviews
3. Re: 3 Days in Medellin - good itinerary?

Cool, thank you both for the suggestions! Any tips for dressing in Medellin this time of year? I know it's rainy season so I'll bring a rain coat and layers, but will jeans and a t-shirt be okay for most of the time? How about shorts or casual dresses for walking around during the day? I want to make sure I'm packing the right things in terms of both comfort and local style.

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Medellin
Level Contributor
3,994 posts
100 reviews
4. Re: 3 Days in Medellin - good itinerary?

Where what is comfortable for you during the day - jeans at night , casual is OK - sloppy is not. You are not going to pass for a local if you are a typical gringa - so don't worry about it too much. No flip flops.

Colombian women do not go out if they don't have their hair right and make up done. Not talking about at night - talking about all the time - even to exercise.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
98 posts
42 reviews
5. Re: 3 Days in Medellin - good itinerary?

Thank you! My main concern with clothes is really just making sure I look appropriately dressed, so your tips help.

Medellin, Colombia
Level Contributor
790 posts
266 reviews
6. Re: 3 Days in Medellin - good itinerary?

Personally I'd skip the rain coat. Maybe a light jacket - but it's not common to see people out in rain gear. An umbrella usually suffices.

In terms of layers I wouldn't get too focused on that. Last night for example I was up near the airport that is considerably higher than the city and therefore generally quite a lot colder in the evening. A storm blew through - it dropped around half an inch of rain in about an hour and as there was also a pretty good thunderstorm the wind was quite strong. It was 'cold' even for the location - but I still ate dinner outside on the deck wearing a t-shirt. Cold is a relative term here.

alexandria, virginia
Level Contributor
52 posts
193 reviews
7. Re: 3 Days in Medellin - good itinerary?

This is a smart casual city. Sneakers, jeans, and cute top will work in most places.

Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: 3 Days in Medellin - good itinerary?

Oh, please, tell me how your trip went!!!! I'm in the beginning stages of planning my trip to Medellin! I'm thinking April! I, too, am single female...while "slightly" older looking forward to the adventure. Saw your post and thought of making note of your itinerary...so how did it go?

9. Re: 3 Days in Medellin - good itinerary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 December 2017, 11:47