We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Medellin Safe?

Toronto, Canada
12 posts
Save Topic
Is Medellin Safe?

Hi. My friend and I from Canada will be visiting my close friend who grew up with us here in Toronto (hes colombian) were white in Medellin.

How safe is it there? Anyone with any info / tips would be great.

Thanks!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
32 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Is Medellin Safe?

Very funny post. Very good advice.

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,878 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Is Medellin Safe?

In ten years of visiting and living In Medellin never had a problem with a yellow taxi, my wife who is a Paisa - never in her life But robberies do happen but considering how many taxis there are and how much use they have the chances of a problem is very small - number one thing to remember if at wrong place at wrong time - just hand over your stuff - don't fight back, that's what turns a robbery into something worse

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
87 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Is Medellin Safe?

That's a great post..reassuring..just what a me needs to decide! Ta.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
17 posts
430 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Is Medellin Safe?

We just returned from Medellin and had no issues with safety or security. As others have said, "No dar papaya." Don't offer anyone the temptation to rob you, don't make it easy for them. Strongly encourage you to take the Real City Free Walking Tour so that you can get a handle on how to use the Metro trains and learn the layout of the city. I also second the sentiments of the first post - that's where people get in a lot of trouble. We had no issues with debit cards, credit cards or Uber. I did sit in the front seat with the Uber driver and he did have tinted windows. We stayed in El Poblado area and it was very convenient. If you have the chance to tour Comuna 13, do it! But I'd say go with a local or guide so that you'll feel more comfortable. My trip to Comuna 13 was the highlight of my visit to Colombia. Have fun, smile at locals and be respectful :)

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
36 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Is Medellin Safe?

Medellin is very safe to travel to. There are a lot of expats in the city for that reason. I travel to Medellin/Bogota multiple times a year.

I offer the same common sense advice i would when traveling anywhere in the world. Be aware of your surroundings, don't act like a tool and stay away from anything illegal.

Medellin, Colombia
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Is Medellin Safe?

Someone slipped a mickey into my friend's drink at a bar. The perps took him to his apartment and cleaned him out.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
480 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Is Medellin Safe?

They say Medellin is safe, untill you get mugged or robbed. It does happen and can happen. Just be aware of that.

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,878 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Is Medellin Safe?

Medellin is a city of 3 million people - has the same problems as any other large city - the drugs in a drink is a bit more particular to Colombian cities - I think in the US women are more aware of it - in Colombia women still need to be careful - but so do guys - especially out at clubs where you might meet an attractive Paisa who seems overly friendly - never leave a drink unattended -

19. Re: Is Medellin Safe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2018, 10:45