We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Poblado to airport

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
70 posts
13 reviews
El Poblado to airport

I have a 5am flight out of MED airport during the week.

1) How long will it take me to get thru the airport (check-in, go thru security and at my gate)? We are flying within the country, so I am not worried about dealing with customs.

2) How early should I leave my hotel in the Poblado area to make the 5am flight? Thinking of arranging a taxi ahead of time because it's so early.

Medellin, Colombia
Level Contributor
790 posts
266 reviews
1. Re: El Poblado to airport

Check in for domestic is pretty quick at Medellin and particularly at that time of the morning. If you have no bags to check and already have your boarding pass it could be five minutes from the curb to the gate.

Poblado to the airport when there's no traffic should be 45 minutes. However there have been both landslides on the road and road work recently. The last time we went to the airport it took us an hour and twenty minutes as there was an accident near the toll plaza. It's one lane in each direction there. Hopefully you won't have any issues.

JMC the main Medellin airport can suffer with fog early morning and can have delays. You'll soon see if there's fog if you go up the airport road.

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Medellin
Level Contributor
3,996 posts
100 reviews
2. Re: El Poblado to airport

Check the flight status before you leave - last month by 2 am flight was delayed until 5am - luckily I checked first and did not spend an extra 3 hours at MDE

Medellin
Level Contributor
4,844 posts
197 reviews
3. Re: El Poblado to airport

I would leave at 3 am and prebook a white taxi.

Texas
Level Contributor
209 posts
98 reviews
4. Re: El Poblado to airport

Agree. MDE is a very disorganized airport so allow time.l

Medellin, Colombia
Level Contributor
790 posts
266 reviews
5. Re: El Poblado to airport

Disorganized on the domestic side? Security for international departures can sometimes be time consuming, but domestic you can be at your gate in a few minutes.

Edited: 21 December 2016, 05:18
Medellin
Level Contributor
4,844 posts
197 reviews
6. Re: El Poblado to airport

As per Phileas - the domestic side is easy, and very quick to clear. Checkin can take some time if the flights are busy, however that is any airline.

3 am = 3.45 in the airport

15 / 20minutes to check-in = 4 am.

10/ 15 minutes to clear security walk to gate - 4.15 am.

Flight would start boarding 4.30 am or so.

Medellin, Colombia
Level Contributor
790 posts
266 reviews
7. Re: El Poblado to airport

Came up the airport road this afternoon and there was yet another landslide. Workers were starting the work on clearing it but traffic had built up in both directions although by far the longer queue was towards the city from the airport.

As a large part of the road is single lane in each direction while this wet weather persists - and it is persisting - don't bet on a fast trip to the airport.

Medellin
Level Contributor
4,844 posts
197 reviews
8. Re: El Poblado to airport

Where abouts if you dont mind; was heading up towards the airport tomorrow.

Medellin, Colombia
Level Contributor
790 posts
266 reviews
9. Re: El Poblado to airport

Beyond the new toll plaza which is where the queue started in the airport direction. A fairly steep section had come down blocking the airport direction side. They also had some covering on a similar section next to what had come down so perhaps that's unstable as well. It must have been a recent fall (from this morning's rain?) as there were a lot of workers there and most seemed to be looking up at the problem trying to decide what was needed.

Medellin
Level Contributor
4,844 posts
197 reviews
10. Re: El Poblado to airport

Ok thanks; i am going to around Indiana so should be ok.