We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How is the Wifi in Cartagena?

1 post
Save Topic
How is the Wifi in Cartagena?

I am a digital nomad and need to have good wifi to be able to work remotely from Cartagena. Does anyone know or able to run a speed test (morning/midday/afternoon)?

Mentioned in this post
Cartagena
Cartagena
Cartagena District, Colombia
9 replies to this topic
Cali, Colombia
Level Contributor
521 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How is the Wifi in Cartagena?

Stephen IMO that will depend upon the ISP of the property you are staying in, and, also, the WiFi network in the property you are staying in.

Not sure about properties in Cartagema, but the property we stayed at in Bogota in May had FAR better WiFi than the timeshare we stayed in, in Orlando.

Like everything else, it varies and will depend upon where you are.

Mentioned in this post
Bogota
Bogota
Colombia
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Cali, Colombia
Level Contributor
521 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How is the Wifi in Cartagena?

This has zero to do with your question, but will show you the quality of the service here on the mainland of Colombia. We have FTTH (Fiber to the House) service. 50 Mbps. I just did a test on Speedtest.net to an ETB Server in Bogota (we are in Cali). The Download speed was 42.81 and the Upload speed was 12.32.

Suggestion: When you have 2 or 3 properties you are contemplating staying in, read the most recent 5 or 10 Reviews of each property here on TripAdvisor and look for comments about the quality of the WiFi service.

Mentioned in this post
Colombia
Colombia
South America
Bogota
Bogota
Colombia
Cali
Cali
Valle del Cauca Department, Colombia
Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
2,008 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How is the Wifi in Cartagena?

Generally speaking, wifi is bad in hotels. I have experienced situations where wifi simply does not work. It happened to me several times in Colombia. I would rather accomodate in an airbnb property than in a hotel to get good stable wifi. With airbnb, you can ask the owner how many Mbs they have. The most common bandwidth in Colombian homes is between 5 to 10 Mbs, so take this into account in case you need a lot of bandwidth. Lanny's 50 Mbs is not so common. I have 20 Mbs at home and it is already considered a lot by most of my Colombian friends.

Edited: 07 August 2018, 02:13
Mentioned in this post
Colombia
Colombia
South America
Cali, Colombia
Level Contributor
521 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How is the Wifi in Cartagena?

RE: Reply 3 what Stephanie wrote may be your best bet. Although we had wonderful WiFi in the property we stayed in, in Bogota, in May, as did someone else who stayed in that same Barrio, in another property, about 2 weeks ago, YMMV.

It simply depends upon the service the property receives from their ISP and then, the WiFi distribution within the property and how many people are using it.

I was surprised and grateful in the property in May 2018 in Bogota, because it was the best WiFi we have had when we are away from home. And one day my daughter was on it, studying for the SAT and it was rock solid.

And Stephanie is correct that our FTTH service at 50 Mbps is not typical here. Some of our neighbors have 100 Mbps service and I believe that kind of Bandwidth is available here, in some places, on ADSL, but it wasn't available to us when we had ADSL, because of an old infrastructure.

The Submarine (Undersea) cables from Colombia to the USA come in on the Caribbean Coast of Colombia. Probably in or near Barranquilla, but that will depend upon the provider to the ISP of the property you stay in, in Cartagena. So, the service to the city of Cartagena should be outstanding. One hop from the Undersea Network facility before the hop into South Florida, where the cables terminate.

I have seen Download speeds, from West Texas, for one example, around 45 Mbps so the connections are really quite good, depending on where you are and what kind of service they have and what kind of WiFi they have and how many people are on the WiFi.

NOTE: I don't know if a property would do this for you, but possibly you can make your reservation in a property contingent on them having the WiFi service they tell you you are going to have, before you put your money on the table.

Mentioned in this post
Bogota
Bogota
Colombia
Colombia
Colombia
South America
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Barranquilla
Barranquilla
Atlantico Department, Colombia
Cartagena
Cartagena
Florida
Florida
United States
New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How is the Wifi in Cartagena?

Funny you ask. The only way that I could get good Wi-Fi in the apartment where I was staying was by being very close to the router. Here's my rant on not getting the best signal I wanted https://youtu.be/jq4sVo99r_Y

Everywhere else it's show to non existent.

Cali, Colombia
Level Contributor
521 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How is the Wifi in Cartagena?

I don't know about other providers, but I am 99% sure that Cartagena is one of the cities where Moviestar (Telefonica) has "Fibra Optica" available (FTTH or Fiber to the House). If you can find a property that has that service, that IMO is the best and newsest available here in Colombia. That's what we have in our house.

https:/…

P.S.

They will only have FTTH in areas where they have installed the brand new infrastructure, which is quite expensive. It will not be available everywhere in the city. Probably available in limited areas of the city.

Mentioned in this post
Cartagena
Cartagena
Colombia
Colombia
South America
Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
2,008 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How is the Wifi in Cartagena?

#5 Tothebatmobile, Good short vid! :D

This is actually a real issue, a lot of users in Colombia complain about the weakness of the wifi signal, especially with some routers of Claro and Une/Tigo.

I also believe this is because people are hiding the router in a closet of behind their tv set, which does not help.

Mentioned in this post
Colombia
Colombia
South America
Manizales, Colombia
Level Contributor
254 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How is the Wifi in Cartagena?

A weakness of the domestic WiFi signal can be easily fixed.

You obviously mount the router as close as you can to your working location and clear of any obstacles or disturbances.

If your property is so large that you run out of a decent signal, you simply install WiFi repeaters.

Chicago
Level Contributor
169 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How is the Wifi in Cartagena?

I had no problem with the hotel Wifi in Cartagena during my stay 2 weeks ago. I found it plenty fast for my purposes but I did not do any streaming or anything needing higher speed.

Mentioned in this post
Cartagena
Cartagena
Reply to: How is the Wifi in Cartagena?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted