We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visting Feria de Cali 2018

Netherlands
Level Contributor
133 posts
13 reviews
Visting Feria de Cali 2018

Hi,

I am thinking about visiting the Feria de Cali at the end of this year. Read this will be from december 25th till december 30th, so I would like to add also New Years Eve which I suppose is also good in Cali. About this a few questions:

• Which are the highlights of the feria, on which dates?

• Is there also still a cabalgata? If yes, on which date?

• I love to take photos. Is it possible/safe to take a DLSR a daytime (at night I will leave all my expensive belongings inside the hotel)?

• Which is the best place/neighbourhood to base so I can walk (safely) to the activities? Are there also activitities outside central Cali?

• Do I have to buy tickers in advance? Or make a reservation far in advance for a ho(s)tel?

• Of course any advice from experts will be very welcome.

Thanks answering in advance.

Harry

6 replies to this topic
Bogota, Colombia
10 posts
1. Re: Visting Feria de Cali 2018

Feria in my opinion is the best time of the year to visit my hometown Cali. At that time the city will be very crowded and for that reason you will find the most expensive hotel and plane ticket rates, so I do recommend that you start thinking on getting the reservations done. My recomendation, stay at the “El Peñon” zone, I think it is safe, nice, full of restaurants, nightlife and strategically located for touristic places. Feria has lots of activities, during the day, I like going to the bull fights and after that you will find a diferent event every day like concerts or parades. I’m not sure if the cabalgata still happens but you can arrange your own private one if you are planning to go with some friends. About your camera, just be careful, take note that it may cost more tan 2 colombian minimum wages, so it may be attractive for thieves. Just try to have it in your bag while you’re walking and take it out if you feel that where you are standing is safe. Colombians hate their past and being known for it, so they will do anything to make you feel safe and welcome!

Hope it helps! Feel free to ask me for more recomendations!

Cali, Colombia
Level Contributor
642 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: Visting Feria de Cali 2018

Below is the URL of the Feria de Cali. I believe that information is for December 2018. You need to confirm that it is for 2018. It is on this URL. Enjoy your trip tto Cali!

https://www.feriadecali.com.co/programacion

OT: as the first reply mentioned the flights will be FULL at that time of the year. Make your airline reservations and buy your ticket now. I would normally suggest doing that 30-60 days ahead, but that is PEAK season.

Netherlands
Level Contributor
133 posts
13 reviews
3. Re: Visting Feria de Cali 2018

Thanks for the response. Already booked a room and plane ticket (coming from Ecuador). Will arrive december 26th and stay till january 2nd (so also celebrating NYE in Cali).

Again a few questions:

1. will it be necessary to buy tickets in advance for the parades/stands (like for desfile de carnaval and desfile de auto classicos) or this will time enough after arrival?

2. And leaving Cali for Pasto on january 2nd, will it be necessary to buy a bus ticket in advance?

3. Other things recommended to do in/around Cali (except the Feria de Cali)?

Thanks answering in advance.

Harry

Cali, Colombia
Level Contributor
642 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: Visting Feria de Cali 2018

OK I just spoke with my wife. She said that if you want to buy a ticket for one of the events in the Feria de Cali, you can do so on this URL: http://colboletos.com/

She does not think that you need to make bus reservations for 02 January 2019 from Cali to Pasto. My guess is the buses will be crowded, because of the date and because of the Carnival in Pasto, which she believes is second to the one in Rio. Trans Ipiales is one of the bus lines that goes there. Possibly Expreo Boliviarano also.

From that, I strongly suggest that if you do not already have a confirmed hotel reservatioin in Pasto, that you make that now.

Not positive about the Cabalgata in Cali. I think years ago they cancelled that, because of cruelty to the horses. A lot of riders drinking, talking on their cell phones, and abusing their horses. Probably you can check that out on the web site of the Feria de Cali.

Here on TripAdvisor, within Colombia, click on Cali for ideas about points of interest. We do not have as many things to see as in Bogota and near there, but there are things for you to see and do here.

Enjoy your trip!

Netherlands
Level Contributor
133 posts
13 reviews
5. Re: Visting Feria de Cali 2018

Thanks Lanny for a the great information. Yes, I already booked a room in Pasto.

Just one more question (as your wife seems to know Pasto and the carnival really well). Do you have to buy tickets (in advance) for the carnival like the parades or a seat on the stands? Or is it all free?

Thanks answering.

Cali, Colombia
Level Contributor
642 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: Visting Feria de Cali 2018

RE: Reply #5

My wife believes that the events at the Carnival in Pasto are FREE.

However, that isn't based upon recent experience.

PLEASE VERIFY that.

Reply to: Visting Feria de Cali 2018
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cali