We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on route to Dapeng

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
338 posts
49 reviews
Advice on route to Dapeng

We are planning to hire a car/driver to take our family to Dapeng to have a look around the fortress area.

Looking at the map, I was thinking we could travel from Shenzhen to Dapeng on the inland route and return via the beach route? Does this sound doable? Any places we should visit whilst on route? How long should we allow for this trip?

Thanks

Shenzhen, China
Level Contributor
2,483 posts
54 reviews
1. Re: Advice on route to Dapeng

It's certainly doable, as long as you avoid weekends, public holidays and typhoons. I've always used the coast road, but then I've seen much of Shenzhen already.

The Xichong beach beyond Dapeng is about the best in this area, but I can't think of much else.

Edited: 25 August 2017, 15:48
Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
338 posts
49 reviews
2. Re: Advice on route to Dapeng

We are looking at going on Tuesday of October National Holiday week...

Shenzhen, China
Level Contributor
2,483 posts
54 reviews
3. Re: Advice on route to Dapeng

During National Week I stay in central Shenzhen with its nice empty roads. All of the cars have either gone touring or are taking the kids to the beach. All the beaches are in the direction of Dapeng, as is OCT East - the biggest local theme park.

Good luck, but I wouldn't do it.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
338 posts
49 reviews
4. Re: Advice on route to Dapeng

If we stay in Shenzhen central, do you have any other suggestions of unique places to visit during National Holiday week - looking for a break from shopping!

Shenzhen, China
Level Contributor
2,483 posts
54 reviews
5. Re: Advice on route to Dapeng

The weather should be good by then - dry with much of the summer heat gone - so parks? I've been to the Splendid China/Cultural Village pair twice in ten years and enjoyed both times.

Of the public parks it's worth going up Lianhua Shan to the statue of Deng Xiaoping and gazing out over the city. Central Park has a flower market attached, but how much will be open that week I don't know. Lychee Park is a typical small Chinese park, near where I live so we could have dinner if you go there.

I'm not impressed by any of the museums, and ancient buildings here date back to the late 20th Century.

The border crossing to HK will be a nightmare, so don't try that.

Not very encouraging, am I?

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
338 posts
49 reviews
6. Re: Advice on route to Dapeng

I will check out those parks you mentioned.

Do you know if there is any special festival in Shenzhen during this holiday week?

Thanks for your assistance!

Shenzhen, China
Level Contributor
2,483 posts
54 reviews
7. Re: Advice on route to Dapeng

The city is very quiet during National Week, so there are few, if any, events taking place. As an immigrant city many people leave and few come. The only place I would consider going to by public transport is Guangzhou, but I see you've pretty much covered that already.

8. Re: Advice on route to Dapeng

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2018, 09:47