We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pre-book tuk-tuk for Angkor temples or rely on hotel?

Wiltshire, UK
Level Contributor
256 posts
68 reviews
Pre-book tuk-tuk for Angkor temples or rely on hotel?

We'll be arriving in Siem Reap this Sunday 18th November from the UK, for 4 nights at the Tara Angkor Hotel. I was just going to ask the hotel to find me an English speaking tuk-tuk driver and not over-plan our visit, but now I'm wondering if that's a good idea. I've seen the pages on recommended tuk-tuks etc. so I'm not asking for specific names, just wanted to get views - maybe someone has stayed at this hotel and used a driver the hotel had found? We don't have any specific interests - but want to see the 'essential must-see' temples and hopefully avoid the worst of the crowds during our 3-day visit.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,684 posts
234 reviews
1. Re: Pre-book tuk-tuk for Angkor temples or rely on hotel?

There are loads of tuk tuks lined up outside all of the hotels and they all speak English and they all know an English speaking guide if you need one, I would wait until you arrive and you can speak to the driver and settle on a price, I don't see any advantage booking beforehand.

Thailand
Level Contributor
1,963 posts
407 reviews
2. Re: Pre-book tuk-tuk for Angkor temples or rely on hotel?

I find that a tuktuk regularly used by your own hotel would be better because there is some amount of accountability. If you have a complaint, you can do it to the hotel, and it is not in the interest of the hotel to take on tuktuks that regularly receive complaints.

Wiltshire, UK
Level Contributor
256 posts
68 reviews
3. Re: Pre-book tuk-tuk for Angkor temples or rely on hotel?

Thank you - we will take your advice and wait until we arrive at our hotel.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
340 posts
419 reviews
4. Re: Pre-book tuk-tuk for Angkor temples or rely on hotel?

The Angkor Pearl organised our pick up from the airport and we also used their tuk tuk for a return to the airport. The former was included in the price of the hotel and the latter cost the same as our booked tuk tuk through Angkor Tuk tuk. We booked our three day tuk tuk through Angkor Tuk Tuk and Leonard as we wanted a driver we could rely on and whom we could trust. Suvuth was all of that. We thoroughly recommend him.

Manchester, England
Level Contributor
1 post
65 reviews
5. Re: Pre-book tuk-tuk for Angkor temples or rely on hotel?

It's very easy to walk out of your hotel and book negotiate a tuk tuk. Just find one who speaks some of your language. Going rate seems to be $15 per day. We also paid $25 for a longer trip to Kabal Spean. No need to go through the hotel and more fun to do it yourself as its not difficult

6. Re: Pre-book tuk-tuk for Angkor temples or rely on hotel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 10:46