We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driver and Guide - How much would we expect to pay?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
709 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Driver and Guide - How much would we expect to pay?

Hi.

I'm just trying to gauge some costs. We are a party of 7 people who would like to hire guide and driver. We would need a van to fit us in.

Day 1 - Angkor Thom and Angkor Wat areas + sunset (quoted $80)

Day 2 - Banteay Srei, Kulen Mountain, Banteay Samre and Pre Rup (quoted $130)

Day 3 - Day trip to Battambang (quoted $230)

I've just listed the temples here because I'm still unfamiliar with the "areas".

Are these reasonable prices? I've been negotiating with a guide, and all sounded pretty reasonable, but I'm afraid I'm starting to feel a little dubious now.

(None of these prices include lunch, passes, etc)

Thanks so much for your help! :)

Melbourne, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Driver and Guide - How much would we expect to pay?

Hi Poppyisblonde,

I was in Siem Reap two years ago and hired an excellent driver called Praim (Prem) Hear. He is a local, speaks excellent English, is punctual and very knowledgeable. He organised our tour so that we visited temples in the right order; when there were fewer people around and the sun was in the right position so that you could take the best photographs. He also supplied ice cold bottled water.

I suggest you have a look at his website and send him an email.

www.angkorvisitor.com

Cheers,

Brad

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
709 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driver and Guide - How much would we expect to pay?

Thanks Brad! :)

Siem Reap, Cambodia
Level Contributor
20 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driver and Guide - How much would we expect to pay?

The above prices sounds reasonable but day trip to battambang,??? not sure if it is worth it( too short ). Best to stay there over night and arrange driver+ guide there. You could possibly pay cheaper than the day trip quoted prices including the hotels costs.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
709 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driver and Guide - How much would we expect to pay?

Unfortunately, our time is limited and a few of us are keen to ride the bamboo train in Battambang :)

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driver and Guide - How much would we expect to pay?

We are just recently engaged Sam's service and we had a wonderful time due to his experiences and knowledge.

We took a mini van option due to our family of 5 with humble and friendly driver and Sam as our brilliant private tour guide. He organized a nice itinerary to suit us with cool air-con van, super clean and he supplied daily chilled cold waters and towels for us and his prices as below :

+ Day 1 : Angkor Wat morning to avoid crowds and Ta Prohm during lunch time ( no people because they are gone for lunch ). Lunch at his family restaurant that we had superb meals then visit Angkor Thom. Van with driver is $ 35 and tour guide service $ 25.

+ Day 2 : Bantey Srei in the morning and we arrived there at 7:30 am, was fantastic light and very quiet. Proceed drive up to Phnom Kulen and have lunch there. Afternoon sunset Preah Khan ( huge amazing experience we had with him and his driver ). Van with driver is $ 70 and tour guide service $ 30.

+ Day 3 : The last day we did beautiful vegetation temple called Beng Mealea, huge and impressed fishing community of Kompong Kleang and sunset at Bakong. Van with driver is $ 70 and tour guide service $ 30.

+ Day 4 : A single day trip Battambong with a memorable Bamboo Train experience and Phnom Sampouv back to Siem Reap at 6 pm. Van with driver is $ 150 and tour guide service $ 30.

We will be hired Sam again for our third trip to Cambodia included Phnom Penh, Kep and Tatai at Koh Kong, so please kindly and no hesitate to email him to get more details.

Look our trip review here :

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

Cheers.

Martina

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
709 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driver and Guide - How much would we expect to pay?

Thanks everyone. I think we've more or less now decided to leave it up to the hotel to organise for us. They've been great in all our dealings with trying to organise accommodation for 7 women, so we reckon they will do the right thing by us for our tours. Thanks for all your help! Cheers. :)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,767 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driver and Guide - How much would we expect to pay?

Hi poopy- I do understand that a few of your party really want to ride the Bamboo Train but do they realize how far it is up and then back just to do this.

i have done it, and enjoyed it, but would not have said I enjoyed it that much to justify sitting in a bus for 6-8hrs (allowing for return trip) to do so.

Honestly if you cannot afford the time for an overnight trip you need to look at how badly you want to do it. How long do you have in sim Reap again- I know you posted it somewhere but I can't remember.

Sleaford, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driver and Guide - How much would we expect to pay?

Hi. Been to SR 3 times now. I guarentee you'll want to return! I'd strongly recommend using tuk tuks, at least for the nearer temples (Angkor Wat, Ta Prohm etc). Bantay Srei is a longer trip, but still great by tuk tuk. You can arrange prior to your trip - again, would recommend a guy called Tong Uk (Tong). Nothing is too much trouble, completely reliable, will start when you want, and finish when you've run out of steam. Around $10 for a full day, so that would be $30 a day for your whole group. Let me know if you want contact details.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,633 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driver and Guide - How much would we expect to pay?

Hi Poppy

Just thought I'd mention that I think Battambang deserves more time than just a quick trip to travel on the bamboo train. We loved Battambang, stayed there 3 days and found that there were many places of interest to see. The people are really lovely, the food seriously good and cheap.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driver and Guide - How much would we expect to pay?

We also hired Sam Pho (sampho2@yahoo.com) for a 2.5 day tour of the Angkor area and he was excellent. I really appreciated his extremely informative, expert and accommodating tour (and in a very safe vehicle!)! His insights were central to our being able to understand what it was we were seeing. Even before I met him, I appreciated being able to communicate quickly and effectively with him by by email in order to ask questions, receive suggestions for the itinerary and to see all of the costs (various admissions etc...) before I got there. His tour was definitely one of the main reasons our stay in Cambodia was so enjoyable. I would certainly recommend him to all!