We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public Shooting Range at Military Training Centre, Siem Reap

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
97 posts
171 reviews
Public Shooting Range at Military Training Centre, Siem Reap

I will be taking two teenage boys to Siem Reap in Dec and have heard about a shooting range 30 mins out on the way to Banteay Srei run by the Cambodian special forces. Apparently for a price you can shoot an AK47, rifles, machine guns etc and pay per ammunition. Whilst we don't own any firearms and I am a bit afraid of them myself, the boys seem pretty excited at the novelty of this. Has anyone been there, do they have safety precautions and do you know if they have age restrictions. A bit undecided really as the AK47 guns you can shoot in Chu Chi, Vietnam are on a metal mount limiting the range etc. Much safer in my mind.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,139 posts
92 reviews
1. Re: Public Shooting Range at Military Training Centre, Siem Reap

I think the only one now is in Phnom Penh, have to ask a tuk-tuk or moto guy, they can take you there...

2. Re: Public Shooting Range at Military Training Centre, Siem Reap

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 May 2010, 17:25
Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
499 posts
14 reviews
3. Re: Public Shooting Range at Military Training Centre, Siem Reap

Well, all I can say is....what type of mother are you?

You should be ashamed of even thinking of giving this experience to two gullible young men.

Guns and war are not FUN. So WTF?

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
9,501 posts
52 reviews
4. Re: Public Shooting Range at Military Training Centre, Siem Reap

Although I am for as much 'free choice' as possible, and I am not sure that Coops specific formulation of his comments are totally appropriate in the forum, I must say as a combat veteran, that I too am no fan of romanticizing the use of combat firearms as something 'cool.' Especially with impressionable teenagers.

I would only say that if you decide to go ahead with this activity, that you make a point of visiting the Landmine Museum and if you go to Phnom Penh taking your children to the killing fields and Toul Sleng Genocide Museum to impress upon them what is part of parcel of those 'cool' weapons they were firing. Perhaps then they can come to their own conclusion that weapons aren't so cool after all.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,139 posts
92 reviews
5. Re: Public Shooting Range at Military Training Centre, Siem Reap

It's a guy thing, you'd be surprised the # of inquiries I hear on this subject on other travel forums.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
9,501 posts
52 reviews
6. Re: Public Shooting Range at Military Training Centre, Siem Reap

I can imagine Maneki. I know better than anyone that its a guy thing. Was around guns since I was a kid, owned my own beautiful nichel chromed S&W 9 mm semi-automatic handgun when I was old enough, but after ending up in the army and really 'playing' with the big boy's toys for real, came to the conclusion back then, that the adolescent testosterone driven fascination should give way to an education that focuses not on how 'cool' things are that go bang, but how destructive these things are. Especially with terrible problem of children soldiers in so many places.

Maybe a better suggestion for those kids, as a sort of quid pro quo for getting their hands on an assault rifle would be they have to read a book like "A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier" and write their impressions about that.

Although this is a travel forum, and not an education forum, I think all of us who are active on especially the Cambodia forum, will attest to the fact that travelling can be the best education and visiting some places can even be life changing.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
19,802 posts
84 reviews
7. Re: Public Shooting Range at Military Training Centre, Siem Reap

Spot on Lenny...

Julie - you and your kids will also see the awful legacy of landmines almost everywhere you turn - and Cambodia and so many other places are still dealing with this problem.

I happen to agree with Coops - that firing guns for fun is not cool, maybe Cambodia is just the place to make this lesson very clear. I am so grateful that I have daughters so this was never an issue I had to deal with, though the answer would have been 'absolutely no way!" if I'd had boys.

helen

UK
Level Contributor
155 posts
1 review
8. Re: Public Shooting Range at Military Training Centre, Siem Reap

Juliezzz, for a real experience-

Get the boys a big rucksack weighing 50kg, march them 50 km, get them to sleep under the stars with only cold food to eat and ditch water to drink. Wake them up every 2 hours and put them on guard duty , do this for atleast 72 hours.Then get them a minimum of a week of formal training on firearms before they fire off a round!

The only "boys" that should fire weapons are military or those that chose to fight the military, please get the idea out of your head!

SF

footnote;- what ever happened to catapults for young boys?

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,139 posts
92 reviews
9. Re: Public Shooting Range at Military Training Centre, Siem Reap

Great reply, 'Frosty! :-)

Lenny, my comment in post #5 was for Coops, your post beat mine I guess! :-o

UK
Level Contributor
155 posts
1 review
10. Re: Public Shooting Range at Military Training Centre, Siem Reap

Hi Karen,

hope my post was not too "frosty", young boys getting excited about shooting AKs is not to be encouraged!

(- ^ -)

SF.