We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When is best time to go Siem Reap?

Malaysia
Level Contributor
4 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
When is best time to go Siem Reap?

Hi all,

Heard lots of positive reviews to visit Angkor Wat which is a must-do in this lifetime. Hope someone could advise when is best time to go when the weather's pleasant. Hot and wet weathers make my 2 kids throw up a monsoon. Also, being our 1st visit there for 3 days 2 nights, appreciate advise on where to go. Many thanks and happy new year to all.

Siem Reap, Cambodia
Level Contributor
648 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When is best time to go Siem Reap?

The weather is least uncomfortable in December-January, by virtue of cooler mornings and evenings and less humidity.

I would either hire a good tour guide to help plan your agenda and/or do some studying up to see what temples most interest you. Dawn Rooney's book is a good one for that.

amazon.com/Angkor-Cambodias-Wondrous-Temples…

Boston...
Level Contributor
24 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When is best time to go Siem Reap?

We were there last February and it was great. Dry (a little dusty even) and low 80's, chilly in the early morning. Try to spend longer, at least 3 full days at the temples. They have tuk-tuks that will hold 4 people.

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
456 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When is best time to go Siem Reap?

You can consider November if you can't make it for December, January or February! It wasn't too bad, dry and the weather was quite cool in the morning and early evening, you and the children will need a light weight cardigan if you are travelling on the tuk-tuk.

By mid-day it gets quite hot, probably the same as the mid-day sun in Malaysia if not a bit hotter, time to have a break from the temples and start again about 3pm.

BURLINGTON
Level Contributor
775 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When is best time to go Siem Reap?

We were there in early April 08 and found the weather to be a lot nicer than we expected. As a couple in our 60's we were concerned it would be too hot and humid and while it was hot, it was quite pleasant. As been mentioned, by mid day it was nice to head back to our A/C room. For our 4 days there we had rain showers only on one afternoon, otherwise it was great.

Frankfurt, Germany
Destination Expert
for Garden Route
Level Contributor
2,133 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When is best time to go Siem Reap?

I would also consider the rainy monsoon season. We were there 3 nights in the end of July. Weatherwise, it was quite a positive suprise, only one afternoon to rainy and humid to get around. Not too hot, except when in was absolutely bright in midday. The temples of Angkor were much less crowded than expected from the pictures and reports we came across on the internet. Prices are lower, too.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: When is best time to go Siem Reap?

I'll be in SR at the end of January. Should I prepare for hot/humid weather, or just very warm? From the above conversation it sounds like long pants and short sleeves, w/ light jacket or sweater for evenings and mornings, would be fine. I find it difficult to imagine long sleeves would be comfortable, but if the humidity is low I suppose that's possible. (I've never been the SE Asia before.) Could anyone really offer some specifics about the temperature and what's comfortable to wear? For Phnom Penh too?! Thanks!

BURLINGTON
Level Contributor
775 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: When is best time to go Siem Reap?

When we were there in early April we wore long pants and a lightweight long sleeve t-shirt and found it to be, surprisingly, comfortable. Most people were wearing shorts and tank tops but we did not take malaria precautions and chose to cover up instead. From the second day on we wore short sleeves and used deet on our exposed arms - may have been overkill as we neither saw a mosquito or got a bite! If we were comfortable wearing long pants in April you may find it cooler in January - I would bring a light jacket and maybe zip off pants to cover all possibilities.

8. Re: When is best time to go Siem Reap?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2009, 18:50