We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Free" Hotel Transportation

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
825 posts
207 reviews
"Free" Hotel Transportation

So what's the true story behind the free transportation from the airport provided by hotels?

I have read some say that they aren't compensated by the hotel and their main purpose is to sell you into tours with them during your stay while others say they are paid by the hotel.

Also, what is an appropriate tip?

Thanks!

12 replies to this topic
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
9,506 posts
52 reviews
1. Re: "Free" Hotel Transportation

In most cases what you've heard is true. I've never used a "free" hotel pickup (use the same driver every year now for 12 years) but if I did I would "tip" him the $5 I would have paid for a revenue ride from the airport regardless of whether I chose to use the driver for my touring or not.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
825 posts
207 reviews
2. Re: "Free" Hotel Transportation

Thanks! So any tuk tuks waiting at the airport should be asking for $5 for transportation to town?

Thanks!

Den Haag
Level Contributor
2,431 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: "Free" Hotel Transportation

Yes, the tuk tuks waiting at the airport will be asking for $5 for transportation to town. If they offer a cheaper ride they may expect to get your services for the next days and will be determined about it, so better to pay an honest fare.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
23,408 posts
177 reviews
4. Re: "Free" Hotel Transportation

By all means use the services of the transport provided by your hotel as it would be convenient when you arrive. However be aware that the driver will try very hard for you to agree to use his services for tours during your stay therefore it’s best to give him a decent tip when you arrive at the hotel which will cover his time for the pick up.

Siem Reap Province...
Level Contributor
831 posts
17 reviews
5. Re: "Free" Hotel Transportation

Last time I used the hotel pickup in Siem Reap the driver didn't try to sell me a tour (I think he already knew me from previously) and when we tried to pay him he said the payment was already covered by the hotel.

We gave him a tip but I think it shows that maybe not all tuktuk drivers are relying only on future work to cover their costs.

Siem Reap Province...
Level Contributor
831 posts
17 reviews
6. Re: "Free" Hotel Transportation

I should add that my hotel in Siem Reap only organises tuktuk pickups for guests staying a minimum of 3 nights which I think is another indication that they're actually paying the driver for the trip.

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
400 posts
23 reviews
7. Re: "Free" Hotel Transportation

Tuk tuk into town from the airport is not $5 has not been or never been! It's $8 ish now

Siem Reap Province...
Level Contributor
831 posts
17 reviews
8. Re: "Free" Hotel Transportation

@kuduman_10. News for you. I'm at the airport now and paid the tuktuk $5 to get here from town then tipped him a $1 because he seemed like a nice guy.

Was quoted $5 by another tuktuk driver yesterday. The PassApp quote for the same ride is actually less than $4.

Edited: 20 October 2018, 20:40
Den Haag
Level Contributor
2,431 posts
5 reviews
9. Re: "Free" Hotel Transportation

A taxi may be 8 usd, a tuktuk is about 5 dollars. Have you heard of the "haggle" concept?

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
400 posts
23 reviews
10. Re: "Free" Hotel Transportation

Things have changed. Maybe the new apps have brought down the price. Haven't seen $5 , but haven't been to the airport in. Few years.

Thanks for the info

Reply to: "Free" Hotel Transportation
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted