We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dubai New Years Eve 2012/2013

Aberdeen, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Dubai New Years Eve 2012/2013

We spent last year 2011/2012 in Dubai but were far too late in booking anything for New Years Eve

We are 3 adults and will be staying at the Towers Rotana Hotel and are looking to book somewhere for New Years eve either within walking distance as I believe traffic is horrendous where we can enjoy nice food, see the fireworks and also have some entertainment

We don't mind spending a bit as it is a special occasion for us.

Can anyone help with suggestions?

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
1,720 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dubai New Years Eve 2012/2013

You are staying in good location for the Burj Khalifa but you will need to book a few months in advance for one of the restaurants with fountain views. Personally if you have a restaurant in mind I would be emailing them in September / October to request a booking. Even if they don't have the prices or menus available you should get on the waiting list. You are also close to the metro stops so that could be an option if taxis are not available. From what I heard the taxi situation was much better last New Year compared to previous years and they opened the metro until 5am. Everywhere is busy on NYE so you have to bear that in mind and be patient, or go to one of the restaurants or bars in your hotel. I can also recommend the Al Qsar which has great views of the fireworks at the Burj Al Arab.

Aberdeen, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dubai New Years Eve 2012/2013

Yorky001

Thank you for your response to my question re New Years Eve, however we didn't manage to visit the Dubai Mall on our last trip so not really sure what restaurants are there

Can you please recommend a few and I will try and find them online for contacting them in the future

Thanks again

Ormeau, Queensland...
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dubai New Years Eve 2012/2013

Hi

I would also like to know what is best to do on NYE in Dubai as my husband and I are planning to be there at the end of this year. Also, what else does anyone recommend we do while we are there. Thanks.

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
44,525 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dubai New Years Eve 2012/2013

Sheila - for New Years Eve then the licensed restaurants with a terrace are all in Souk al Bahar over the bridge from Dubai Mall, in the Palace hotel or in the Address Downtown.

In Dubai Mall itself there are more than 160 places to eat but most are cafes rather than restaurants and whilst some are very lovely non are licensed.

For the high end licensed restaurants then I would start trying to book in September to ensure you get a terrace table and there are so many that a list is difficult so some hint for us of what you want would be great - licensed / non licensed, Thai, Italian, English, Asian, Steakhouse etc etc.

Patricia - you really need to help us to help you.

What's best to do on New Years Eve may be different for you than it is for us - what would you like to do ?

Where are you staying ? This will mean we can make relevant suggestions.

What else can you do in Dubai ? Lots and lots of things, please take a minute or two to browse the Top Questions to the right of the posts page and see some of the ideas and usggestions people have made. Then perhaps we can help you more.

Ormeau, Queensland...
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dubai New Years Eve 2012/2013

hI

Thank you for answering. OK, for us, we are very mature aged!! we don't drink any more and we won't be partying or going to nightclubs etc. We like to see the "real" part of a country and in our younger days drove around many parts of Europe and Asia. I am not sure if we could drive now, but we are happy to use local buses, trains rather than taxi's. We are not 'high end' people, but prefer the local food areas. Does this help? We are very excited about our planned trip to Dubai. Normally, we are in bed before 12 on NYE but intend to stay up and would like to watch the fireworks to be able to cross it off our bucket list. Could you please advise us on a good location to see the fireworks, preferably without having to stand and wait for hours and hours. We are also wondering about doing a day trip to Abu Dabhi would it be best to go by bus or train? Thank you so much in advance for any help you can give to us. Patricia

Edited: 24 May 2012, 05:53
Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
44,525 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dubai New Years Eve 2012/2013

Not sure of your budget but

The Arabian Courtyard hotel in Bur Dubai oposite Dubai museum is my top recomend for stying in an around the older and more traditional part of the city. All of the souks and heritage areas are within easy reach as is the Sheikh Mohamed Centre for Cultural Understanding at which you can have a breakfast or lunch and / or a guided walking tour of Bastakiah.

Here is a map of that area

…nationalgeographic.com/travel/…

You can cvatach an abra (small boat) across the creek for 1 dirham to reach the gold and spice souks and heritage sites on the oposite side of the creek

…nationalgeographic.com/city-guides/…

To be able to view the Burj Khalifa fireworks and fountains comfortably on New Years Eve then you really should try to book into one of the restaurants around the lake - as above BUT the area itself is very busy, packed with people and you would have to stand around a bit UNLESS you compromised on where you want to stay and booked an hotel with a direct view of it - more expensive - or on Sheikh Zayed road somewhere like

Shangri La hotel which has a view from their bar.

There are no trains but there is a good metro system - downside of the metro system is that it doesn;t always take you exactly where you want to go. This is easier to cope with in December than it is in the summer months because it is cool enough to walk around.

Abu Dhabi can be reached by public bus for 20 dirham and it is a 2 hour journey OR you can book a tour with Arabian Adventures or Viator for example.

My advice if you are going for the day is to book a tour - that way you will have a guide and get to see all of the main sites with ease. Whichever tour you take should include Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque as you really wouldn't want to miss that.

Ormeau, Queensland...
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dubai New Years Eve 2012/2013

Thank you for your help. we are very middle of the road for the budget, certainly not high end but also not back packers. We really appreciate any and all advice we can receive. Tricia

London, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dubai New Years Eve 2012/2013

Hello, I also am struggling for ideas of what would be best to do in Dubai on New Years Eve. Me and my girlfriend (well wife from 29th December - 5th January lol) are desperate to make NYE one to remember. We are 24 & 23 and have no real preference and are very open to give anything a try. I've been on the internet researching for ages but finding the NYE a real struggle. Managed to book some amazing things for days before and after, like the Wild Wadi Waterpark, Desert trip, Ski Dubai, a tour of the palm and world islands ect ect. To be fair standing in a massive crowd to get a glimpse of the Burj Khalif isn't a priority for us, I mean I'm sure there will be fireworks going off everywhere plus I can watch it on YouTube in the morning. A nice restaurant with a view would be nice. If you could reccomend a few that will give us a window through the countdown that would be great. No preference in food type. Also, what I did in New york on New Years was a boat party, which was the best idea ever. When it finished we still got the buzz of Times Square and could do this in Dubai with the Burj Khalif area. Anyone who could help find a reasonably priced boat party playing music with a buffet I'd be really really appreciative. Any ideas welcome. Thanks a lot. Paul :)

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
44,525 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dubai New Years Eve 2012/2013

Paul

Where are you staying ?

London, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dubai New Years Eve 2012/2013

We will be staying in the Moevenpick in Diera. I know this is a little far out but got an amazing deal for a 5* and also the main selling point was the 3 minute walk to the metro station which we will use as a base to get around. Hope this helps. In regards to NYE evening I am not fussed at all how far away we are from our hotel as we can use metro and also hear and read cabs are very reasonably priced. A boat party would be ideal, however not fussed would just like to get the most important evening in my opinion sorted as soon as possible. Thanks very much for your time. Paul.