We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virgin airlines upgrade question

yorkshire
Level Contributor
207 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Virgin airlines upgrade question

We are flying to dubai with Virgin in June, we would like to upgrade tp premium economy as its our wedding anniversary the day we fly but being quoted silly prices anyone got any tips, should we wait until we get to check in and see if they still have availibility and if they do would you know if it would be a bit cheaper. Holiday has already cost enough as staying at the one and only !! Have to make savings where we can Ha Ha.

London, United...
Level Contributor
322 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Virgin airlines upgrade question

In my experience with Virgin, Premium Economy is usually pretty booked so the chances of you being able to upgrade at the airport are slim. Even if there are seats available you probably won't get it any cheaper than the prices currently quoted. You could ask for an upgrade but again I think the chances are slim. If you really want to fly premium econ you may just have to bite the bullet and upgrade now at the quoted price.

UK
Level Contributor
1,669 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Virgin airlines upgrade question

When we flew in the summer to Orlando the at the airport upgrade fee was £199 per person. If it is an important part of your holiday though, don't leave it to chance and book now. Have you tried to find out if there are many seats left in PE ?

channel islands
Level Contributor
82 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Virgin airlines upgrade question

What benefits are there if you upgrade to premium economy. thanks

yorkshire
Level Contributor
207 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Virgin airlines upgrade question

Bigger seats, more room mainly

UK
Level Contributor
1,669 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Virgin airlines upgrade question

It depends on which aircraft you fly.

I flew on the new A330 that Virgin have aquired. They fly these to Orlando and only have 2 classes - economy and PE so the service I got maynot apply to the 3 class 747 or A340 flights. I would check the aircraft you are going to fly on and then look at the Virgin Atlantic website.

As we were on the 2 class plane we got seperate check in, wider seat in seperate cabin at front of plane, more legroom, preboarding, pretake drinks and hot towels, meal service and ater dinner drink, fresh fruit, first to disembark on arrival, luggage off first.

But as I said different route and different aircraft so you maynot get the same service.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
1,006 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Virgin airlines upgrade question

Virgin Premium economy you will get priority check in and your luggage will arrive on a separate belt along with upper class baggage. You will get priority boarding and bigger comfy seats, 38" pitch and bigger TV screen. Upgraded amenity pack. Drink prior to takeoff, better food on proper plates with proper cutlery. Prior disembark at destination before economy passengers .... definitely worth the extra.

The bulk head seats in PE are not allocated until day of departure therefore if you are at checkin early you can get them. Last twice we managed this. Once Orlando - £199 each, Second Dubai - £165 each.

channel islands
Level Contributor
82 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Virgin airlines upgrade question

Thanks all for the info. have only ever flown Emirates economy to Dubai. Unfortunately do not have much of a choice (time and money) and have to fly out of Gatwick. I believe an earlier posting said Emirates do not do PE.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Virgin airlines upgrade question

tynewydd25, that's correct. Emirates doesn't have PE.

9. Re: Virgin airlines upgrade question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 15:45