We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

two questions

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
304 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
two questions

Hello

I arrive in Dubai next friday for a 24 hour stay. Me and my partner are living together in UK but aren't married and therefore have different surnames. I've just read the UK Foreign Office advice about co-habitation in hotels and I'm confused. Can we expect any difficulties when checking into our hotel next week?

In terms of dress code for a man is it acceptable to walk around town during the day in knee length tailored shorts and also in cafe's?

thanks

Ian

Dubai
Level Contributor
2,326 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: two questions

Unlikely to have any difficulties if you are booking into a major hotel and you are not going out of your way to be unpleasant to anybody. These "offences" are normally only added to the rap sheet if you cause a problem.

The usual thing is that you get drunk, upset insult the staff, police or Islam and then when they begin to charge you they build the rap sheet based upon everything you have done wrong. So avoid trouble and it will avoid you. Words that apply everywhere in the World not just here

Knee length shorts are absolutely fine

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
10,871 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: two questions

You'll be fine. Many thousands of unmarried couples visit and live together here without any problems. Just don't get into trouble with the police for any other reason.

Different surnames means nothing, not every woman changes her name when she gets married and in some cultures no women take their husband's surname.

Have a fun visit :)

Dubai
Level Contributor
53 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: two questions

Dont worry about the name thing nor about the shorts. It is a very open minded city with open minded residents, that doesnt mean nudity though! IT's just very relaxed and very welcoming, so enjoy it.

4. Re: two questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 June 2013, 14:49