We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bringing food into Dubai

Newcastle, NSW...
Level Contributor
55 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Bringing food into Dubai

I'll be spending a few days in Dubai on the way to Britain. Because I have some food allergies, I usually travel with enough food to last me a day or so until I find somewhere to get food that will not affect me.

Are the Dubai Customs fussy about bringing food into the country? The sort of thing I will have will be biscuits, cashews, perhaps some fruit.

Thanks for your help.

David

The Land That Time...
Level Contributor
2,240 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Bringing food into Dubai

What you have listed will not cause any difficulties.

Dubai
Level Contributor
3,150 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bringing food into Dubai

No issues.....feel free.

Though I must say we get all sort of fruit here in dubai.

Cashews are a hot favourite - plain, roasted, spicy, salty.....

also u get fruit from all parts of the world.....

For asian fruit - lulu hyper market.

For australian and european fruit - spinneys or carrefour supermarket.

u name it we have it.....imported from europe or where-ever.

Biscuits however leave much to be desired, we have a few, but frankly they all suuck.

Thought the alergic people stayed away from nuts.....? Most of them had to have nut free meals????

If your flying emirates most of the time, they request you to bring your own meal, which they can heat on board.

It may be best to check with your airline what they can offer you.

Emirates has a fruit platter apart from other salt free bland un-edible stuff.....

Dubai, UAE
Level Contributor
4,084 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bringing food into Dubai

Everything you mention you can get here - I assume you are allergic to wheat/gluten. Spinneys supermarket is very good for these products and there are also two branches of an organic supermarket here now. Are you self catering? But, rest assured, it's not like Oz/NZ where the dogs sniff your bags for all this stuff.

Newcastle, NSW...
Level Contributor
55 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bringing food into Dubai

Thanks for the info, especially the supermakets. My problem is not with nuts, but with some of the chemicals that occur naturally in some foods, as well as some of the additives that are often used. Usually I can cope by selecting courses carefully, and asking for certain things to be left off.

As for Emirates, they allow you to choose a "bland meal" which is usually pretty plain, and without sauces. This is ideal, although a little tasteless. But it's better than being sick....

Cheers

David

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
622 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bringing food into Dubai

If you walked into Dubai with 11 boxes of fruit, they wouldn't say a thing.

You can bring anything is here (that isnt' white powdered opium).

And they have an organic supermarket in the Emaar bsiness centre and in Satwa which sell all good things if you get stuck.

Also, just jump in a cab and ask for 'Spinneys Umm Sequim (sek-eem) and you will find all things fresh and flavourless.