We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Friendly Desert Safari

England
Level Contributor
237 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Family Friendly Desert Safari

Hello and good evening.

We are staying at the Fairmont The Palm end of October and we are a family of 4 with children aged 5 & 12

Please could someone recommend a great desert safari (not overnight!)

Something that is good quality but fun for the kids too...

many thanks :)

7 replies to this topic
Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,553 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family Friendly Desert Safari

Read the reviews here. The general consensus with desert safaris is that you get what you pay for. A cheap desert safari usually is not a good experience. What's your budget for the safari? Do you think your kids would like the dune bashing, or would they get carsick? This is also something to consider.

England
Level Contributor
237 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family Friendly Desert Safari

I’m not entirely sure what the going rate is... I am guessing we’d be prepared to spend around £75pp but for this I’d want good quality.

The kids would enjoy dune surfing rather than dune bashing in a car.. however they would enjoy about 15 minutes of it..!

I’ve read reviews but still would like recommendations from families who have experienced it...

Thanks

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri, Protaras, Paphos, Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
48,170 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family Friendly Desert Safari

Our family has experienced it several times but not until my son was 7 years and older.

I wouldn't take a child under 7 on a dune bashing safari but if you decide to do so then you have to consider a few things

1. The fact that your 5 year old won't enjoy a longer period of dune bashing or a particularly thrilling ride doesn't mean that everyone else in the same shared vehicle who has paid full price for a longer and more thrilling dune bashing session has to have a tame experience

2. The desert camp can get a bit boring and they won't go home earlier than everyone else because your child is bored/fast asleep/ crying because they're tired

The professional and experienced operators will probably insist on a private vehicle if you have a 5 year old with you and they will have proper child seats available. A private vehicle costs more money per person.

A 4 year old child died on a desert safari a few years back so I guess the choice is yours. Pay extra for a private vehicle,in which car seats are provided with proper seat belts for a 5 year old and with a reputable operator or

Get a cheaper safari.

I would look at

Arabian Adventures

Platinum Heritage - no dune bashing at all

Desert Rangers

Destination Insight - bespoke package, which may suit you better

Arabian Nights

Edited: 08 August 2018, 04:00
London
Level Contributor
1,580 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family Friendly Desert Safari

We’re heading to Dubai in two weeks time and I have booked a bespoke package in a private vehicle with Destination Insight. Our daughter is nearly 5 but there is no way we want to do dune bashing with her so this seemed liked a suitable option.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family Friendly Desert Safari

If you arrange a private car you will be able to dictate timings and the dune bashing aspect of the evening.

Lahore
Level Contributor
25 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family Friendly Desert Safari

Check

Oscar Knight Tours

&

Destination Insight

Both are good for families.

london
Level Contributor
111 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family Friendly Desert Safari

We had two 8 year olds this Easter and did ....

https:/…bedouin-culture-safari

Not cheap but great fun...and quality.

A little bit of camel riding ,falcon display and learning about Bedouin life/food was perfect for the kids. Also a little bit of "up and over dunes" in the 1950's jeep....before a fantastic drive around the Desert Conservation Reserve.

It was hot, so an early start and only the morning worked well for kids, as you're back for lunch and the pool!

Edited: 08 August 2018, 16:15
Reply to: Family Friendly Desert Safari
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted