We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dubai and Ras al Khaimah break

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Dubai and Ras al Khaimah break

Hi,

Considering a 10 day or so holiday with husband and our 8 year old daughter. Have never been to either place on holiday though have visited Dubai briefly with work. Just wondering if it could be an option to split our holiday between RAK and Dubai and if so has anyone else done the same and could advise on best way to book? The RAK part of it would be the bulk of the holiday I think, with Dubai generally being pricier.

Also not sure yet when we would be going, I think school Easter break probably best bet as summer too hot and October school holiday only a week.

Thabks.

Mentioned in this post
Dubai
Dubai
Emirate of Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Best Seller
Dubai Desert 4x4 Dune Bashing...
1,962 Reviews
from US$ 67.40*
Special Offer
Full-Day Tour of Abu Dhabi City From...
395 Reviews
from US$ 43.00*
US$ 48.00
Special Offer
Desert Safari in Dubai with Barbecue...
136 Reviews
from US$ 53.00*
US$ 59.00
4 replies to this topic
Tyne and Wear
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
10,175 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dubai and Ras al Khaimah break

I’ve split my stay up on many occasions and combined Dubai with another Emirate including RAK

I’ve also enjoyed many weekend breaks in RAK when I used to live in Dubai, there’s little to see and do in RAK so you will be pretty much hotel based.

All Inc hotels are popular in RAK and they’re worth considering as you’ll spend most of your time within the hotel. My favourite hotel is Waldorf Astoria and it’s the only hotel in RAK that’s comparable to those in Dubai, the other RAK hotels are in my opinion nowhere near as good as you’ll find in Dubai hence they’re cheaper

WA does not offer All Inc though. Popular hotels in RAK are Hilton Doubletree Al Marjan, Rixos and Hilton Al Hamra. They offer various different packages and being in Al Hamra are a little closer to Dubai

There is also Cove Rotana and Hilton Beach Resort which are further into RAK but still popular nonetheless

If you ring around agents will gladly price you on two different hotels within The UAE. I’ve booked several holidays for next year already and found Destination2 and Destinology had some good deals. It’s worth pricing Travelbag, Netflights and Value Added Travel offer deals for RAK particularly Hilton Doubletree Al Marjan

Mentioned in this post
Dubai
Dubai
Hilton Ras Al Khaimah Resort & Spa
Hilton Ras Al Khaimah...
6,131 Reviews
Ras Al Khaimah, United Arab Emirates
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dubai and Ras al Khaimah break

Perhaps the most practical way to split up would be a cheaper 'city' hotel in Dubai as a base for sightseeing, and RAK in a luxury beach hotel for chilling and soaking up the sun etc.

There's not really that much to do in RAK compared to Dubai, and it's not really practical to consider travelling between the two (other than moving hotels). Hotels in RAK are significantly cheaper than Dubai - compare the Waldorf Astoria for example - so it's worth splashing out in RAK.

RAK is developing as a tourist destination and there are more activities, tours etc. to do than in recent years, so perhaps 4 or 5 days would be sufficient.

When you go to Dubai, carefully consider location as it can be a little spread out to the unitiated. Plan out where you'd like to visit and choose a hotel that's practical. By choosing somewhere less popular or developed, e.g. Business Bay, top of SZR, Al Barsha etc. you can get either cheaper or better value hotels. Whilst Marina is popular, it can also be easily visited on a day trip or evening, and if you're going to be exploring areas such as Downtown or Old Dubai it could be wiser to base yourself nearer to them.

Mentioned in this post
Dubai
Dubai
Al Barsha Hotel Apartments by Mondo
Al Barsha Hotel...
463 Reviews
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dubai and Ras al Khaimah break

TLDR - there's no 'best way' to book hotels that will consistently get the best deals.

With regards to booking, perhaps the key aspect is the number of days you're looking to spend.

Generally, agents buy/sell hotel packages for set days - either certain days of week (e.g. say Sat to Sat) or for a certain number of days. So when they sell, the better deals are the ones that fit with their cycles (think like a timeshare - it would be preferable if they sold all their rooms exactly the same way (e.g. 7 day cycles, Sat to Sat).

So when someone is booking an irregular number, say 3 or 4 days during a week, the rates may not be as enticing as it's more work for them to shift their inventory.

Why is this relevant? Because it's not neccessarily a given that agents/packages are cheaper when it comes to irregular bookings, so don't overlook the option of booking direct either with the hotel or an alternative site that prefers day to day selling such as HotelsCom.

Other tips to consider are :-

* prepaying in advance on a non-cancellation deal

* booking through the hotel loyalty program to avail of member only deals (such as book 3, pay only for 2)

* use price matching (find a cheap rate online then approach the hotel to use their Best Price Guarantee). Jumeirah will match and drop a further 10% for example.

* check out the hotel's special offers and promos on their website and social media

* book on a free cancellation rate and use a price drop site to automatically tell you when the price drops

Mentioned in this post
Jumeirah Beach Hotel
Jumeirah Beach Hotel
5,845 Reviews
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dubai and Ras al Khaimah break

Thank you all for your replies. I thought we would get the best of both worlds by combining the 2 as my daughter would love to have a few days hotel-based and go to kids club, swim etc. And I thought it would be ideal to maybe have a couple of nights in Dubai to tick off the sightseeing stuff, probably at the end of the holiday.

I’ll bear in mind making sure we go for a good central base whilst in the city. Any recommendations for somewhere family friendly that is in relatively easy reach of a lot of the most popular sights?

Sorry if I seem clueless, I’m very new to the idea of exploring Dubai!

Mentioned in this post
Dubai
Dubai
Reply to: Dubai and Ras al Khaimah break
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted