We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dubai Daily spends

perth
Level Contributor
20 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Dubai Daily spends

Hi everyone

we are in Dubai this October for 7 nights.

How much would you recommend for daily spends for a couple in their 50's staying in Dubai - our hotel price includes breakfast, afternoon tea, 2 hours free cocktails every night plus airport transfers - so we don't have to worry about any of that - we are also thinking about doing a day trip out of Dubai but not sure where? Any helpful advice would be appreciated thank you in advance.

Special Offer
Dubai Desert 4x4 Dune Bashing...
1,995 Reviews
from US$ 67.40*
US$ 89.87
Desert Safari in Dubai with Barbecue...
154 Reviews
from US$ 59.00*
Full-Day Tour of Abu Dhabi City From...
408 Reviews
from US$ 53.00*
2 replies to this topic
Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri, Protaras, Paphos, Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
48,106 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dubai Daily spends

Which hotel ?

Any idea what you might want to do in the city ?

Some days you'll spend more than others and credit cards are widely accepted.

I take £200 in sterling to change at the airport (if you are in Perth in Scotland you'll need English notes as they give you a better rate) and then I use an ATM machine to draw out any other money that I need. Cash is king for taxis and smaller shops but I generally pay for most things on a card to be honest.

It's hard to tell someone else what their daily spending money may be - you might eat in a 5* hotel every night with a fine wine or you might eat in the food court or a cafe in a mall and drink coke.

You might take a bus to Abu Dhabi or you might hire a chauffeur for the day and do it in style.

It's the sort of place where you can eat like a king for 20 dirham or spend 20,000 dirham in less than 5 minutes.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
2,223 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dubai Daily spends

I'd echo Latimer's advice and add to it by saying to me, the single biggest thing that will help you get value from your Dubai holiday is research.

For example, an obvious 'catch' is layout - Dubai is a city that has developed linerarly along a highway, as opposed to conventional cities than tend to develop radially. There's also sporadic development, so it's possible that your hotel to the sights you'd like to visit could mean time in taxis, metros or other transport.

I mention this as it can be unexpected in terms of lost time and money. For example, your hotel may be on Palm Jumeirah, but if you're looking to visit Downtown Dubai and Marina allow at least two separate 20-30 mins+ taxi journeys.

Secondly, there's so much competition for your money in Dubai, which creates tremendous opportunity for value in terms of promos, voucher codes etc. If you're willing to put some time, energy and focus into research you can dramatically reduce your cost exposure especially on 'big ticket' items such as alcoholic drinks, fine dining or brunches, tours, activities and sight-seeing.

Here's a thread showing some of the many different voucher codes and guides to saving money in Dubai >>

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g295…

It really is tough to give a 'typical' spend without knowing things like if you big eaters? (as the afternoon tea etc. may be not cut it) or what would you 'typically' spend money on each day?

If you could give us a bit more idea what you'd ideally like to be doing, we can perhaps advise a little better on budget and ways to save money...

Reply to: Dubai Daily spends
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted