We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help - Where do we stay????

Level Contributor
58 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Help - Where do we stay????

My family and I have been visiting Dubai for the last 5 years and each time we go we stay at a new hotel. This year we stayed at Anantara in a lagoon access room and we loved it because the lagoon was actually very quiet compared to the main pool, the food was wonderful and we really relaxed - no racing for loungers or a good spot by the pool. So we plan to go next year and due to my son's exams we will have to go in May. Could anyone recommend a hotel which has a good kids club for a 10 and 11 year old (ideally with some computer games etc) but which also has enough space for guests to not feel overcrowded? I want a relaxing experience so i don't want to be rushing for sun beds etc (which was the bonus of having a lagoon room at Anantara). I'd also like to stay somewhere which doesn't have badly behaved guests - I know that you cant control this but I don't want to feel like I'm in Spain.

We plan to go for the last week of May which is also Ramadan, and our budget is around 4K to 5K for half board.

Any advice would be welcomed as all my reading has got my head spinning x

Mentioned in this post
Dubai
Dubai
Emirate of Dubai, United Arab Emirates
12 replies to this topic
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
2,813 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help - Where do we stay????

Which other properties have you stayed in? That might help other people make some suggestions. Does it need to be Dubai or would you look at Abu Dhabi too?

Mentioned in this post
Abu Dhabi
Abu Dhabi
Emirate of Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Level Contributor
58 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help - Where do we stay????

We’ve stayed at raffles, Jumeirah Emirates, Dusit Thani, Anantara and the Hilton.

We prefer not to stay in Abu Dhabi during Ramadan as we usually like to go out a little more whilst in Abu Dhabi. There’s just so much choice that it’s harmed to know so any help is appreciated x

Mentioned in this post
Jumeirah Beach Hotel
Jumeirah Beach Hotel
5,845 Reviews
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Dusit  Thani Dubai
Dusit Thani Dubai
2,588 Reviews
Abu Dhabi
Abu Dhabi
Emirate of Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri, Protaras, Paphos, Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
47,866 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help - Where do we stay????

Have a look at

Le Royal Meridien

Rixos Premium

Westin

Mina Seyahi

Habtour

Mentioned in this post
Le Royal Meridien Beach Resort & Spa
Le Royal Meridien Beach...
6,912 Reviews
Rixos Premium Dubai
Rixos Premium Dubai
647 Reviews
Level Contributor
58 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help - Where do we stay????

Thanks for this Latimer. I have looked at a couple of these options namely the royal and Westin. I wasn’t sure if Westin would feel too busy but I did consider Grovenor house which shares the Royal’s facilities or alternatively the Ritz Carlton. Waldorf Astoria has also got some pretty good reviews but again I’m not sure as it does get mixed reviews. My hope is to spend most of my time at the hotel wit maybe a day or two of shopping so the hotel needs to be comfortable ie I don’t want to feel rushed because of the volume of people which may be difficult because we are going during uk school holidays.

I’ll look into your suggestions and any advice on those I’ve mentioned would be appreciated x

Mentioned in this post
The Ritz-Carlton, Dubai
The Ritz-Carlton, Dubai
3,026 Reviews
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
1,829 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help - Where do we stay????

What's the most important priority in choosing a hotel though, i.e. the dealbreaker?

I get the feeling your underlying concern is being hectic, or overcrowded. If this is the case, I'd presume you're looking for a 'less busy' hotel?

Perhaps the obvious solution here would to be choose a hotel that is less popular, or in a less popular area. For example, Dubai Marine - whilst it's a decent enough hotel, it's nowhere near the top of the most popular ones.

I would also suggest considering the newer hotels coming online, as they're usually not as busy - so perhaps think about Aloft or even the W on Palm Jumeirah.

Also, 'busyness' of hotels comes down to a few factors - popularity of the hotel or pricing of the hotel being the two most common. As Dubai hotels are generally struggling, there's a lot of value to be had as certain hotels are offering far more deals and incentives than normal so some - e.g. Zabeel Saraay, Five, Dukes - may end up busy because they're underpriced.

As an aside, what's the total number of guests, age of kids, and so, preferred sleeping arrangements? Is it 2 adults + 10 yo? This may actually be the pivot point, as different hotels have different size of rooms and policies which may force your hand when choosing.

From a hotel booking occupancy of view, Ramadan can be a curious time. In many cases, hotels are a lot quieter for the the obvious reasons. However, as prices can be cheaper in some cases, this attracts travellers too.

Edited: 04 August 2018, 12:51
Mentioned in this post
Dubai Marine Beach Resort and Spa
Dubai Marine Beach...
915 Reviews
Palm Jumeirah
Palm Jumeirah
1,338 Reviews
Dubai
Dubai
Emirate of Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Zabeel Park
Zabeel Park
363 Reviews
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
1,829 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help - Where do we stay????

Presuming your currency budget is in GBP, you should be fine, for a week from 20th May (last full week in May) on half board basis for less than 2,500 you could get...

Mina a Salam

Atlantis

Ritz Carlton

Grosvenor House

Rixos Premium

Palace

Sofitel

Fairmont

JA Hotels Ocean View, Jebel Ali or JA Palm Tree Court

Zabeel Saraay

Palazzo Versace

Le Meridien Mina Seyahi

So you're certainly not short of decent options...

Mentioned in this post
The Ritz-Carlton, Dubai
The Ritz-Carlton, Dubai
3,026 Reviews
Grosvenor House Dubai
Grosvenor House Dubai
5,147 Reviews
Rixos Premium Dubai
Rixos Premium Dubai
647 Reviews
JA Palm Tree Court
JA Palm Tree Court
3,615 Reviews
Zabeel Park
Zabeel Park
363 Reviews
Palazzo Versace Dubai
Palazzo Versace Dubai
669 Reviews
Le Meridien Mina Seyahi Beach Resort and Marina
Le Meridien Mina Seyahi...
2,602 Reviews
Level Contributor
58 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help - Where do we stay????

Thank you all for your thoughts. I’m thinking either the Royal which seems to have good facilities for kids or maybe the Westin. Originally I did think Minadat but the Jumeirah group seem to be revue I g a lot of criticism for the changes they have made and from what I have read Minadat is probably going to be too busy

Thanks everyone for your help! You’re a great group

Mentioned in this post
Jumeirah Beach Hotel
Jumeirah Beach Hotel
5,845 Reviews
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
1,829 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help - Where do we stay????

If you're going for LRM, it's worth considering their Club Tower rather than Deluxe as there's added value in bigger rooms/suites and lounge access also. I'd suggest you still consider Grosvenor House as for a similar price, you could get an apartment there and club access also. It's only 5-6 mins or a shuttle bus to LRM, plus you'll probably find GH a little more relaxing and tranquil away from the beach at LRM.

When it all comes down to it, all the hotels listed are decent so most will also be 'busy'. It's a personal opinion, but I don't think the MH properties provide proportional 'value add'. Whilst service levels have retracted across the group, prices haven't reduced to a more reasonable level IMO. That's not saying they're not great properties, just that I think value is better found at other properties/chains.

Edited: 04 August 2018, 15:55
Mentioned in this post
Grosvenor House Dubai
Grosvenor House Dubai
5,147 Reviews
Level Contributor
58 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help - Where do we stay????

Thanks Shaun

Think I’m going to book either GH or the RLM

Great advice with is much appreciated x

Tyne and Wear
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
10,173 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help - Where do we stay????

Just a note The Club Tower rooms at LRM are closed May-Sept 2019 therefore if you’re looking for a club access room I’d look at Grosvenor House

I love The Westin but for me LRM and GH have the edge for facilities, pools and restaurants although Westin has great rooms

Mentioned in this post
Grosvenor House Dubai
Grosvenor House Dubai
5,147 Reviews
Reply to: Help - Where do we stay????
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted