We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best half board hotel Dubai for Christmas break

Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Best half board hotel Dubai for Christmas break

Hey guys!

So we were thinking to book Sofitel on the palm half board but seen a few comments on here that the food is so/so? We stayed at jumeirah sabeel saray last year and it was good, but we’d like to try something different. We were thinking maybe the fairmont?

We are 7 adults and 3 toddlers so it must be kid friendly. Suggestions greatly appreciated

Special Offer
Dubai Desert: Dune Bashing, Camel...
1,995 Reviews
from US$ 67.40*
US$ 89.87
Desert Safari in Dubai with Barbecue...
154 Reviews
from US$ 59.00*
Full-Day Tour of Abu Dhabi City From...
408 Reviews
from US$ 53.00*
7 replies to this topic
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
2,223 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best half board hotel Dubai for Christmas break

If you’ve already stayed on PJ, why not try Marina or JBR for a change?

Note that some hotels may charge supplements over Xmas/New Year or have ‘entertainment charges’ or similar which could raise the cost.

All things being equal, I’d suggest starting with Grosvenor House or Le Royal Meriden, ideally on their Dine Around half board. LRM has its own beach and they’re both ‘sister hotels’ that you can cross-charge any spend on and are only a few minutes walk away. Whilst GH is a city hotel (ie no beach) it does have some stunning apartments which may be more amenable.

Alternatively, try Westin or Le Meridien at Mina Seyahi, but there’s many more of course if you’re after direct beach access.

The ones you’ve mentioned are fine also if you’d prefer the Palm of course.

Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best half board hotel Dubai for Christmas break

Thank you for your suggestions. We have stayed at the Atlantis a few times before as well but over the Xmas-NY period it is far outside of our budget! I’ll check out those options as I’d like to see the City a bit more

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
2,223 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best half board hotel Dubai for Christmas break

If you'd like to see more of the city, it may be an option to move further towards the Downtown area, as it will shave half an hour off any trips if you were travelling from Marina area.

I guess it depends on which is your most important criteria; if it's a beach hotel then perhaps Madinat Jumeirah (which will be very expensive) or Dubai Marine hotel/resort would be a lot closer to the city. If you're looking for value and can forego the beach, it could widen your choice.

It's all about shopping about when it comes to Dubai hotels - there is value to be had, but it takes a little time and lateral thinking to get the best deals. For example, you could save a lot of money by basing yourself in a less popular (or less developed) area such as Business Bay, Al Habtoor City, Al Barsha, or even the top of Sheikh Zayed Road.

There's still very good hotels in these areas, such as

* JW Marriott Marquis Dubai

* The 3 ex-Marriott hotels at Al Habtoor City have just rebranded (and it's not altogether clear who to) - but these will need to get guests booked in fast, so may offer some incentives or value

* Conrad

* The H

* Sheraton Grand

Alternatively, a leftfield suggestion - Lapita Resort. Whilst it's even further than the Marina, it's a keen tip for value - even for 24 Dec to 02 Jan 19 it's coming in around 845 GBP for half-board. That said, it's in an isolated area so you'd have to factor in time and money cost of taxis to 'get around'.

I'd suggest, as you're looking for big numbers of availability at an acute time of year, you'd be better off looking at the hotels with lots of rooms - e.g. JW Marriott Marquis, or the Al Habtoor City, or maybe even Jumeirah Etihad Towers etc.

Another point to consider is with it being festive week, hotels may be reducing options for half board. Restaurants in hotels may be offering more expensive dinners, set menus or even events, and they'd rather offer the covers on this basis rather than 'freebie' half boarders...

3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best half board hotel Dubai for Christmas break

Hi denise,

I am looking to book Atlantis on half board for 7 nights during feb mid term. I understand you have stayed here. Do you know how much i should be looking to pay here for 2 Adults and 2 kids from your previous experience.

Thanks

Edited: 06 September 2018, 00:30
Tyne and Wear
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
10,242 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best half board hotel Dubai for Christmas break

There are not as many half board deals about during Christmas, the hotels are busier and don't need to entice people as much.

If you can get a HB deal at Le Royal Meridien or Grosvenor House then this is one of the better offerings although GHH pool is very shaded in winter but you can use LRM.

Also look at The Westin where there is a decent selection of restaurants

If Atlantis is over budget then I'd say On The Palm I think Zabeel Saray offers the best half board followed by Anantara

Fairmont restaurants are nice but a little limited but I'd pick it over The Sofitel and it's a better location . The Waldorf Astoria is also quite limited on the restaurant front but the food is good quality and is a lovely hotel

I've never stayed at Sofitel but I've been to the resort twice for a meal, both times I wasn't impressed and didn't enjoy their far eastern restaurant at all. That combined with the fact it's pool seemed very busy it's put me off staying

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
2,223 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best half board hotel Dubai for Christmas break

Just a quick note - make sure you double check the booking conditions; it's not unknown for supplements to sneak in with some hotels over the festive holidays. It's generally around NY that it's more likely, but check all the same.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
2,223 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best half board hotel Dubai for Christmas break

@ bvsh - it's tough to give an estimate for Atlantis, and previous costs may not be valid these days, as there's so much variance with Dubai hotels (not least Atlantis).

Best advice would be to shop around across several websites, consider advance purchase (no cancellation) to cut costs down, or book with free cancellation and use a price drop service. Shopping around does pay dividends, especially if you can avail of their special offers.

Reply to: Best half board hotel Dubai for Christmas break
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted