We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would You Expect Last Minute Deals on Hotels for End of Dec?

Glasgow
Level Contributor
284 posts
1 review
Would You Expect Last Minute Deals on Hotels for End of Dec?

Im travelling to Dubai for 10 days at end of December. Hotels are already looking quite pricey. Im wondering whether it is expected to see a drop in prices at any time between now and end of December or whether there tends to be any last minute deals?

3 replies to this topic
Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for United Arab Emirates
Level Contributor
2,883 posts
10 reviews
1. Re: Would You Expect Last Minute Deals on Hotels for End of Dec?

Yes.

There was a decent thread a couple of weeks back in Dubai forum on this.

There will always be deals for hotel in Dubai, and last minute ones especially. Be aware though that two factors will affect you - availability (as it's a busy time, but also hotels try to restrict bookings to multiple days, rather than nights, around the 'main days) and booking restrictions (sometimes hotels, especially at new year, charge 'resort fees' or 'event fees' to cover their entertainment apparently, but really just to bilk the guests for more money.

As always,. the tips are to shop around - it's worked a treat for me several times at festive season. It helps to be more flexible and 'hop' (perhaps even one night in one hotel, then move on).

It's possible, probable and well worth it, but it won't necessarily be easy.

There's also the opposite strategy - book now on either prepaid rates (if you're sure of attending) or book on free cancellation and use a price drop site to monitor.

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri, Protaras, Paphos, Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
49,000 posts
38 reviews
2. Re: Would You Expect Last Minute Deals on Hotels for End of Dec?

I have an opposing view to Shaun mainly because I don't have time to devote to searching hotel sites, price drop sites and any other type of site.

I have a risk averse approach to getting what I want particularly the hotel that I want to stay at, at a time I can go and a family I don't want to disappoint. Nor do I want to spend 10 nights moving hotels every day.

December festive period is probably the busiest time for hotels in Dubai and whilst there is undoubtedly a lot of competition, if you want to secure a particular hotel for the whole 10 days at the best available rate then now is the time to book it. That is just my opinion and you might want to take the book it now and hang on a price drop site to save £10 a night or you might just want to book it and know you are staying where you want to stay and forget about it till you get the suitcases and your passport out.

Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for United Arab Emirates
Level Contributor
2,883 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: Would You Expect Last Minute Deals on Hotels for End of Dec?

Latimer makes a great point there - it's about 'opportunity cost'.

If convenience and peace of mind is your priority, then book now.

If getting the best deal is your priority, then you're likely forsaking lowest cost.

However, finding the best deal is not necessarily as time intensive as it may seem. It's easy for you to find one deal now, then use a price drop service - it takes less then 30 seconds to email your booking to one, and no further time investiment on your part.

If the price drops, you get an email to tell you where to rebook. You don't have to take it, but if you do, it's like what - 3 minutes?

It would even work in Latimer's case, whereby a hotel booked in a risk-averse way as soon as possible. Who wouldn't want to use such a service if it meant saving money on your existing booking?

The stats are pretty compelling - over 60+% of all hotels booked drop around 40% in price after bookings.

The best strategy is down to personal choice, circumstances and many other things. In your case, the ten days is really the pivot point, as to benefit from last minute bookings you need to be as flexible as possible I'd suggest.

The answer to the question is still yes though 😄

Reply to: Would You Expect Last Minute Deals on Hotels for End of Dec?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted