We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hire Car vs Metro

Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hire Car vs Metro

I am going to Dubai with my wife next week for 10 days. I am trying to decide if I need to hire a car or use the the Metro & taxi's to get around.

A hire car is costing me £150 for the 10 days. My hotel is in Barsha and I believe a taxi there from the airport is £20 one way. So potentially I have saved £40 in taxi fee's already which means its costing me £110.

The hotel has free parking so thats a good start. We were planning on doing most of the tourist activities whilst we there.

What do you think? Public transport or hire car?

Also we were planning on going Abu Dhabi for one day. How much would it cost if we got a taxi or driver to get there? Again potentially a saving can be had if I had a hire car.

21 replies to this topic
Dubai
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
2,472 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hire Car vs Metro

You will find that hiring a car is a cheaper option and gives you great freedom and flexibility. Taxis fares can quickly mount up depending on how much you need to travel.

Public transport does not have that wide a coverage in Dubai yet and is not a 24 hour service.

Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Hire Car vs Metro

Thank you, great reply.

I have worked out and believe it will cost £40 in taxi's to and from airport and another £80 saving in the Abu Dhabi tour. Looking at a few websites a day trip to Abu Dhabi is £40 per person.So thats £120 saved.

As you say, the advantage is flexibility with the car.

I think the best way to travel would be a combination of hire car and public transport.

Any more thoughts on this?

Dubai
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,472 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hire Car vs Metro

Agree - you can take taxis to the hard to find or hard to park places like Bur Dubai or Diera. And drive to the easier places like the Malls and beaches.

Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hire Car vs Metro

Whats the metro like compared to taxi? I believe the malls have metro stations nearby and so does my hotel.

Would metro be better than taxi?

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
301 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hire Car vs Metro

Metro is very easy to use and inexpensive. For the Souks, it was definitely the way to go. A day pass for 2 adults was 44 AED!

Dubai
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,472 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hire Car vs Metro

Metros are clean and safe provided the metro stop is close to you - you probably don't want to walk extended distances in the heat. You also have to make your way up and down the metro station and wait for the next train. Taxis are everywhere and instantaneous.

Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Hire Car vs Metro

Is that with a red ticket? I believe a silver card is better option as only pay what you use?

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
301 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hire Car vs Metro

We did the 24-hour day Pass. It was very helpful.

Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Hire Car vs Metro

Any more views before I book a hire car?

Al Ain, United Arab...
Level Contributor
158 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hire Car vs Metro

I would say better to go for a metro, since transportation is really good in Dubai. Hiring a car also includes your parking charges where you visit and you need to add that too. Also, please check with car rental company if you need to deposit some amount. As far I have heard, one need to deposit 2000 aed and in case if there is any fines or damage they will get it deducted from one's deposit. So think twice before hiring a car.

Reply to: Hire Car vs Metro
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted