We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mekong River View Hotel

London, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Mekong River View Hotel

Hi There

Just booked 7 nights at the Mekong River View Hotel based on the great reviews, location and warm, informative exchange of emails with the reservations manager

I'm travelling solo and hoping some of you were also solo guests at the hotel.

I'm hoping it's not just popular with families or couples as I don't want to feel slightly out of place!!

Would Welsh lije to hear some more positive memories of your stay there

Chris :)

Le Sen Boutique Hotel
Le Sen Boutique Hotel
#2 of 75 hotels in Luang Prabang
Mekong Riverview Hotel
Mekong Riverview Hotel
#3 of 75 hotels in Luang Prabang
Lao Spirit Resort
Lao Spirit Resort
#9 of 75 hotels in Luang Prabang
Pecatonica, Illinois
Level Contributor
485 posts
367 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mekong River View Hotel

We stayed about a year ago and loved this place. Solo guests should be very comfortable here. They invite guests to a wine tasting one night. There is a wonderful restaurant overlooking the Mekong. We jokingly said we could eat breakfast there and just stay for lunch--it's that beautiful. Meals were very good, expensive by Lao standards, but very reasonable for London/US standards. You can take a free bike to ride for the day. There is a free minibar. A golf cart will take you about town (also free). Being in the UNESCO site is a big plus because everywhere you walk is wonderful. Your balcony (porch) overlooks the Mekong, and the bamboo bridge is right there so you can buy a ticket (less than $1 round trip) and hike over the bridge to a village. The hotel will book trips for you and make suggestions and they do not charge for that service. Lucky, lucky you! I should add that the reservations people were truly wonderful as was Mr. Urban, the Swedish owner of the hotel.

London, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mekong River View Hotel

Thank you very much

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,459 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mekong River View Hotel

It is very expensive though, just beware.

London, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mekong River View Hotel

Hello

The accomodation is expensive compared to other hotels but the location is perfect and the accomodation looks lovely and not as expensive as some of the 5* hotels in Laos

I presume the hotel restaurant and drinks are quite pricey but I rarely eat at where I am staying. I much prefer to try trad foods at various restaurants.

Thank you for your feed

Mentioned in this post
Laos
Laos
Asia
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,980 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mekong River View Hotel

We have stayed there a couple of times and both times there have been a couple of single people, as well as couples and a few families. As William M says, the owner, Urban, invites guests to a little wine reception one evening a week - a nice friendly touch. I think it would be fine for solo travellers.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,933 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mekong River View Hotel

I am also going to be travelling solo to Laos in late November and plan to spend about 12 days in LP and the surrounding areas before heading south to spend a few days in Vang Vieng and then Vientiane. The scenery in the south that I have seen pictures of looks absolutely spectacular!

I am actually in the process at the moment, of booking a Riverview room for several days starting November 26th. I have heard such great things about Laos and am very much looking forward to my time there...

Mentioned in this post
Laos
Laos
Asia
Vang Vieng
Vang Vieng
Vientiane Province, Laos
Vientiane
Vientiane
Vientiane Prefecture, Laos
London, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mekong River View Hotel

I there

I decided to stay at my dream resort instead.

It's a lovely place not too far from the centre of town. I found the Mekong river hotel too expensive but as we are both travelling solo and will be in luang probang at the same time it may be nice to meet up one day?

Kind Regards

Christine

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,933 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mekong River View Hotel

Hi Christine... Yes I broke my piggy bank just now as I booked 5 days at Mekong River View Hotel... But this is a special trip for me as I have gone through 2 full knee replacements over the past 4 years and am in the middle stages of recovery of 2nd knee replacement. I have missed travelling so much! So this upcoming trip will be a very good one. I have a friend who has stayed at My Dream Resort and was quite happy there. Now I am going to scout out some more accommodation for the other 7 nights I'll be in LP.

Yes it would be nice to meet up and trade travel adventure stories!

London, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mekong River View Hotel

Two knee replacements ouch!!

You most definitely deserve to break the piggy bank!

Of course we must meet up but your vast travelling experience will put mine to shame

now that my kids have flown the nest Ive just began travelling. I'm heading to chiang mai for a few days after LP so any advice would be appreciated

Have a good day

London, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mekong River View Hotel

Two knee replacements ouch

You most definitely deserve to break the piggy bank

Of course we must meet up but your vast travelling experience will put mine to shame

now that my kids have flown the nest Ive just began travelling. I'm heading to chiang mai for a few days after LP so any advice would be appreciated

Have a good day