We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaria

vancouver
Level Contributor
92 posts
359 reviews
Save Topic
Malaria

Hi all experts

My husband and I (late 60) will be travelling to LP in January.

Should we take anti-malaria pills ?

Thanks for any wise advice

Monvan

Luang Prabang, Laos
Level Contributor
192 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaria

Hi, most expats living here do not use anti malarials. Whilst we are in a malaria zone it is better to avoid imho getting bitten in the first place. Anti mozz spray here is very cheap so don't feel temped to buy at the airport at ten times the price. Jan. Is very cool here and the dengue season has long finished. Mosquitos are most active at sunrise and set especially around foliage.they like to bite low here so keeping ankles covered is a plus. Either socks or spray will do. And please don't laugh at the idea of socks here in January, it's cold when the sun sets, not Vancouver cold but it does get as low as plus 2*c here and there is no heating so bring a fleece!

Finally avoid perfumes and scented creams etc, mozzies have an acute sense of smell it is said, they go straight towards CO2 and nice smelling people.

Oh, just for added protection spray out your room before bed.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaria

Dengue fever is more likely more of a problem than malaria. I live in SE Asia and travel to LP regularly and have never taken anything for malaria except bug spry>

vancouver
Level Contributor
92 posts
359 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaria

Thank you so much.

You put my mind at ease.

All the best

Monvan

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
22,932 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaria

Although the choice as to whether or not take malaria prevention compounds is very personal, I never use them as many of these products can have nasty side effects. Who needs to feel sick while on holidays. This stuff doesn't protect from dengue anyway, so it's probably best, as others have suggested to use a good repellant.

vancouver
Level Contributor
92 posts
359 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malaria

Thank you Travelkat88

I've decided not to use the Malarone, based on all the advice I have gotten from you experts out there.

I appreciate all the comments.

Monvan

6. Re: Malaria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2016, 09:46