We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Years Eve in Luang Prabang?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Topic
New Years Eve in Luang Prabang?

Greetings

I am doing a tour which ends in Luang Prabang on New Years Eve.

Does anyone know if there are many festivities in LP for NYE? Fireworks? Is it worth hanging around? If so... any hotel recommendations?

My next stop is Hanoi so I'm tossing up between heading there straight away or chilling out in LP for a couple of days.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
23,145 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Years Eve in Luang Prabang?

To be honest, I don't know, but the local people love a party and celebration so it wouldn't surprise me if there was a lot happening in LP on NYE.

There are a lot of lovely guest houses in the town and one we particularly love is the Villa Chitdara No. 2 which is on the riverfront. Run by some lovely and very helpful people, so I feel that if you email them, they would be more than happy to give you some idea of what to expect on the night. Just a thought.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,722 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Years Eve in Luang Prabang?

Which New Year's are you talking about as there are many, including the Lao New Year celebrations that are awesome and take place in April?

Edited: 30 August 2015, 04:59
Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,336 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Years Eve in Luang Prabang?

I've had western NYE in LP and in Hanoi, and neither celebrate very much - as it isn't their own New Year.

In Hanoi I found little to do apart go to the Jazz Club, as the streets were empty after about 10pm (except the small tourist bar streets around Ha Tien. The club shut at 12.10pm and the city deserted.

In LP some of the larger hotels and resorts put on a NYE nights' entertainment. The Villa Santi resort just out of town did a good quality buffet with drinks and music & dancing but no fireworks, and it ended shortly after 12. Tickets were about $25.

4. Re: New Years Eve in Luang Prabang?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2016, 09:47