We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Being shortchanged!

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
1 post
23 reviews
Being shortchanged!

My stay in Luang Prabang has been very nice and I have met some extraordinary local people who are kind and helpful. That be said, I have twice been ripped off by boat operators who would not give me change for the fee that they quoted to me. Granted that it was only a few dollars but it is the principal of the thing! I always tip and am generous when I receive good service but my experience with the trip operator on the Namkhan River to go the short distance to the Tad Sae Waterfall has me outraged. I made a huge stink and received some of my change but not all. Needless to say I warned other arriving groups of the treatment, gave away my ticket and left! My question is this, has anyone else experienced this sort of rip off while here?

Houston, Texas...
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
199 reviews
1. Re: Being shortchanged!

If $2 or $3, I would not care, principle or no principle. That happened to me with taxis in Beijing and Rio. Maybe not the right attitude for me not to complain because that may continue to encourage the scam on others, but scams are apparently part of the culture in Laos and Vietnam. I am dreading the expected pushiness and scams on our first trip to mainland SE Asia next year.

I am good at smiling, resisting, moving on, saying no, and asserting clarity if a transaction occurs, but I am still dreading the thought of it. Also, I know I will get scammed, and historically i have made huge scenes, even to the point of potential physical violence. That was supidity in reaction for the most part, though, I realize now in my older age. Would scare my kids and/or make the situation worse for my friends around me. In stark contrast, my approach in Rio this summer and even in the US generally now is to be tough, smart, and aware but to let it go when needed and not worry about a few pennies. Smile and move on, and not care.

Edited: 12 August 2015, 14:08
2. Re: Being shortchanged!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2016, 10:48
Get answers to your questions about Luang Prabang