We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about 2 week trip from Bangkok-LP

Level Contributor
21 posts
Questions about 2 week trip from Bangkok-LP

This May, I'll be taking a 2 week trip to Laos. I'm nervous yet very excited (despite being a female traveling alone), and have a list of activities I'd like to do, but don't know if my budget will allow for it all. Flight is booked...not room and board yet. 4 hour layover in Singapore. Will take a taxi to Merlion Park for a few pictures of MBS and hurry back within 1.5 hours of next flight.

We will arrive in Bangkok and stay 3 days at most. In Bangkok, I would like to see the Tiger Temple which is 3 hrs away. Anyone know how much for transportation there and how much for entry?

Where can I get a Visa before going to Laos? Not sure if were taking train or not though.

I'd like to see Buddha Park in Vientienne. I know that's not too much.

Once in Luang Prabang, I'd like to see Kuang Sai falls and visit an elephant sanctuary. Maybe ride down the Mekong at least once. My budget is around $1500-2000 USD. Am I pushing it?

Level Contributor
21 posts
1. Re: Questions about 2 week trip from Bangkok-LP

I will be meeting a co-worker in Bangkok, who is from Laos. She asked a month ago if I wanted to go with her for my first trip there. So all of this is really last minute, but a once in a lifetime trip. I am getting my things together.

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,598 posts
95 reviews
2. Re: Questions about 2 week trip from Bangkok-LP

"Where can I get a Visa before going to Laos?"

Why do you want to do this? Visa on arrival is easy.

Level Contributor
21 posts
3. Re: Questions about 2 week trip from Bangkok-LP

I just didn't know if I'd have to have everyone wait for me. But I will do it there. Thanks.

Luang Prabang, Laos
Level Contributor
1,353 posts
1 review
4. Re: Questions about 2 week trip from Bangkok-LP

Hi, yes for a majority of nations visa upon arrival is not a problem. If you are arriving by land border don't let any touts try to convince you you need it in advance. And u should pay in US $.

Subject to how u feel after/if arriving at Vientiane's Friendship Bridge, since Buddha Park is not that far off, you could hop the #14 bus (but you'll need to cross to the opposite side of the main road OUTside the Lao border complex) for an inexpensive fare to Buddha Park. The reason I mention this activity as an option is that Buddha Park is quite a ways out from Vientiane so this will save you the hassles of going all the way back out there for a visit to the park. But then again, u might be exhausted by the time you get to the border.

Anyways, have a great trip and welcome to Laos.

Luang Prabang, Laos
Level Contributor
1,353 posts
1 review
5. Re: Questions about 2 week trip from Bangkok-LP

PS, you can book a shared van from any number of LP travel agencies or even at/from your hotel for Kuangsi. Shared vans depart 10 (or was that 11?) and 1:30 and wait for you for ur return to LP at a designated time.

Likewise, u can book an elephant excursion when you arrive.

Neither activity needs reservations in advance from overseas. Wait until you get to LP.

Level Contributor
21 posts
6. Re: Questions about 2 week trip from Bangkok-LP

Thank you so much!! I'm sure I'll enjoy.

7. Re: Questions about 2 week trip from Bangkok-LP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 March 2016, 09:46
Get answers to your questions about Luang Prabang