We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

burning season 2015

London
Level Contributor
64 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
burning season 2015

I have read a few threads about the smoke and poor air quality during the annual burning season.

However a lot of the info is in old threads so I was wondering when exactly it is likely to be this year?

We are planning to be in LP next month but haven't yet finalised the dates so this info may influence our itinerary

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,329 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: burning season 2015

It is the same few months every year - the dry season Dec-March mainly. Info on old threads will still be valid.

Personally it has never bothered me and I visit LP most dry seasons, as well as further north where there is much more burning than around the LP area. I certainly wouldn't let it affect your itinerary unless you suffer from respiratory illness.

London
Level Contributor
64 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: burning season 2015

Just wanted to report back that we were in Luang Prabang 9-13 Feb 2015 and didn't see any burning!

Mentioned in this post
Luang Prabang
Luang Prabang
Luang Prabang Province, Laos
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: burning season 2015

No visible burning here in Luang Prabang but the air is quite hazy and if you're here to see a clear sunset, it will be difficult.

Mentioned in this post
Luang Prabang
Luang Prabang
Luang Prabang Province, Laos
Luang Prabang, Laos
Level Contributor
1,353 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: burning season 2015

Well, there's different types of burning--from burning of fields and forrested hillsides to people burning their yard trash. Yes it's hazy but makes for eery orange orb as the sun sets. As previously noted by blue cramp, it can present a problem if one's got respiratory issues.

5. Re: burning season 2015

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2016, 11:47
Get answers to your questions about Luang Prabang