We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Laos Visa

Japan
Level Contributor
62 posts
47 reviews
Laos Visa

Can I show up with a $50- or $100-bill to get my Laos visa, or do I need smaller bills?

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
75 posts
10 reviews
1. Re: Laos Visa

$50 shouldn't be a problem, but I always play it safe and bring exact money wherever I travel in SE Asia. For unknown reasons, in the past Lao customs sometimes adds an extra dollar.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
9,156 posts
49 reviews
2. Re: Laos Visa

You shouldn't have any problems. Usually there is an money exchange place next to imigration, who I am sure could change your larger notes.

The extra $1 is overtime fee, payable for crossing before 9am, after 5pm and on weekends. They had signs out for that when I crossed in Huay Xai last week.

Townsville...
Level Contributor
258 posts
11 reviews
3. Re: Laos Visa

We got our Laos Visa and handed over $5o us dollars and got change.No problems at all.

Japan
Level Contributor
62 posts
47 reviews
4. Re: Laos Visa

Thanks for the comments. Actually, I have a $100-bill for some strange reason. It is not that I think they cannot make change from that, but that they might not want a $100-bill. Maybe I should try to pick up something smaller in Bangkok airport when I go through?

Townsville...
Level Contributor
258 posts
11 reviews
5. Re: Laos Visa

When we got our Visa last Month, there was a Money Changer right there, so if we needed to use it we could have, but no worries getting change at all. They also told us that they charge a $1 extra at weekend, but we went on a Sunday and there was no extra $1 charged. But if you still a little concerned, get it changed at the Airport for peace of mind. Have a great Trip.

Japan
Level Contributor
62 posts
47 reviews
6. Re: Laos Visa

Thanks, Penny. It sounds like a guy should be okay then as long as he shows up with any kind of currency.

Townsville...
Level Contributor
258 posts
11 reviews
7. Re: Laos Visa

Thats true mari 99, another couple that were with us had Thai Baht and they changed it at the money changer, no worries.So don't stress just enjoy.AND we are not young traveller's we are in our 60's and all was fine.Just enjoy.Cheers.

Hindmarsh Island...
Level Contributor
760 posts
105 reviews
8. Re: Laos Visa

Hi,

I've searched but haven't found a definitive answer yet.

We intend to travel into Laos from Chiang Rai to travel the Mekong to Luang Prabang.

Can some one please advise what VOA fees are for 2 x adults + 1 x 11 year old Australians?

cheers, Tricky.

Hindmarsh Island...
Level Contributor
760 posts
105 reviews
9. Re: Laos Visa

part 2.

I believe we'll be looking at 3 x 30USD.

Does this sound correct?

cheers, Tricky.

Townsville...
Level Contributor
258 posts
11 reviews
10. Re: Laos Visa

Im sure that is about right, maybe $5 each more, I know it it no more than 40usd.

Enjoy your trip as I know you will.It just beautiful.

Cheers..

Get answers to your questions about Luang Prabang