We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoid using Vietnam Airlines to and from Luang Prabang

New York
Level Contributor
13 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Avoid using Vietnam Airlines to and from Luang Prabang

I recently flew from LP to Siem Reap on their ATR72 Turbo prop airplane. When my wife and I landed in Siem Reap. we were told that Vietnam Airlines had some issues regarding luggage and had without warning not loaded anybody's bags on the flight.

I'd like to say that the Vietnam Airlines representatives were helpful, but in reality there were NONE to be found. We were told by the airport reps to talk to people at the Vietnam Airlines office in town, but that "mysteriously" closed 15 minutes earlier than scheduled. Apparently this airline does this regularly and without warning for flights using this plane as it has a tight weight limit, but offer no compensation for the hassles and expenses you incur before the bags arrive a day or two later.

Bangkok airlines by the way was an absolute pleasure and I recommend them highly.

Mentioned in this post
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
Siem Reap Province, Cambodia
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Avoid using Vietnam Airlines to and from Luang Prabang

This is helpful to know since we were thinking of taking that flight (also on a ATR72). How long did it take to get your bags? Did they deliver them to your hotel in Siem Reap? Anyone else have this same problem on that flight? If this is indeed a common problem, we may reconsider, which is unfortunate because Vietnam Airlines has the best fare on this route.

Mentioned in this post
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
13,332 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avoid using Vietnam Airlines to and from Luang Prabang

We did this flight on Nov 19 with absolutely no problem. Service was excellent. Read many reviews before booking and did not read any comments about "common practice" We also used Vietnam Air from Vientiane to Phnom Penh..again no problems.

There was a Siem Reap airport workers "issue" in late November..possibly baggage problem related to this???

Edited: 01 December 2014, 13:24
Mentioned in this post
Vientiane
Vientiane
Vientiane Prefecture, Laos
Phnom Penh
Phnom Penh
Cambodia
Altea, Comunidad...
Level Contributor
52 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Avoid using Vietnam Airlines to and from Luang Prabang

We took this flight last month with no problems at all. Our bags (2 very large suitcases at 20kg each ) were waiting for us after we had cleared immigration. No waiting time at all. We also had large carry on luggage and agin no problem.

UK
Level Contributor
318 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Avoid using Vietnam Airlines to and from Luang Prabang

No problems at all using the same flights last week. The plane looked at bit old but it was on time and baggage was waiting for us when we cleared immigration.

I would use them again

I think it's the luck of the draw with air travel. We've used AirAsia (3 times), Vietnam Airlines, Bangkok Airlines and Emirates on this trip and they've all been spot on except Emirates who are supposedly better!

Also in your favour is the fact that Luang Prabang and Siem Reap are relatively small airports so less chance of something going wrong

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Luang Prabang
Luang Prabang
Luang Prabang Province, Laos
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Avoid using Vietnam Airlines to and from Luang Prabang

I fly only Lao Airlines out of Luangprabang, except sometimes Bangkok Airways on the route to/from Bangkok. Honestly, food is usually rubbish, but service is good, planes are good, timing is good and prices are OK, cheaper when booking the flight from Laos than online.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Laos
Laos
Asia
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Avoid using Vietnam Airlines to and from Luang Prabang

I've always found flights and service on Vietnam Airlines to be excellent.

Mentioned in this post
7. Re: Avoid using Vietnam Airlines to and from Luang Prabang

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 May 2016, 11:46