We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Intrepid trip -Bangkok to Luang Prabang

Tauranga, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Intrepid trip -Bangkok to Luang Prabang

Has anyone done this trip or a similar trip I would like to know your comments, suggestions. This is an 18 day trip

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,505 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Intrepid trip -Bangkok to Luang Prabang

Bangkok, Thailand

218 km

Aranyaprathet, Thailand

354 km

Phnom Penh, Cambodia

231 km

Siem Reap, Cambodia

5 km

Angkor Wat, Cambodia

135 km

Kompong Thom, Cambodia

128 km

Phnom Penh, Cambodia

159 km

Kratie, Cambodia

186 km

Don Khong, Laos

109 km

Pakse, Laos

276 km

Thakhek, Laos

303 km

Vang Vieng, Laos

112 km

Luang Prabang, Laos

For USD $1,960. You are kidding me. This is a ridiculous price. The only reason for doing this trip in my opinion is if you ar male and want to hook up with a female. Intrepid advertise that 63 percent of people doing it are female, so your chances should be pretty good.

Des Moines, Iowa...
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Intrepid trip -Bangkok to Luang Prabang

I did a similar trip last year, Bangkok to Hanoi, 26 days. I enjoyed it. Rufuscat is right compared to doing it on your own it is pricier.

For me it was my first time in SEA and I wasnt really sure what to expect so I did Intrepid. I primarily used them to get from point A to B and have the lodging ready when we arrived. I did a few of the side trips with the group but did a lot of activities on my own. In Siem Reap I hired my own guide for the temples, spent a day on scooters in HCMC, motorcycle day trip in central Vietnam. The tour guides with Intrepid usually arent to keen on you being on your own, but wont stop you, I kept a cell phone with me to contact them if need be and that worked out OK. Another good point about being with a group , is of course meeting new people but also having someone to hang out with If you wish.

I checked some of the prices of the lodging and transport we used and I suspect going on your own you could do it for about 1/2 the Intrepid cost. I'm planning my next trip to SEA and doing it on my own, now that I know a bit more about the area, it looks pretty easy.

Not so sure about hooking up with someone on Intrepid though.

3. Re: Intrepid trip -Bangkok to Luang Prabang

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2015, 10:46