We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Slow boat from Luang Prabang to Huay Xia?

Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Slow boat from Luang Prabang to Huay Xia?

Hi,

We are looking for info and advice on the slow boat from Luang Prabang to Huay Xia. Mostly we have questions around what is the best way to buy the tickets without paying the hefty fees from the travel agents? Is it best to rock up in person the day that you want to travel and buy the tickets from the wharf? If yes, what time should we aim to get there and what time do the boats usually depart?

Thanks heaps!

lewes uk
Level Contributor
10,767 posts
206 reviews
1. Re: Slow boat from Luang Prabang to Huay Xia?

Hi,

You can just show up and buy a ticket on the day as the boats will always have space for another passenger or two. But the boats now arrive and depart about 10km north of Luang Prabang so you will need get transport out to the new boat dock - it's where the speedboats used to dock. Some travel shops may include the ride out there with the ticket price. Boats aim to leave between 8-9am.

Cheers

Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Slow boat from Luang Prabang to Huay Xia?

Thanks for your response!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
899 posts
28 reviews
3. Re: Slow boat from Luang Prabang to Huay Xia?

Cynthia, I hope you don't mind my asking Paulo a question.

Following on to your reply about the cruise from LP, what would you suggest we do if we are planning to fly to LP from Bangkok?

Should we be flying elsewhere?

lewes uk
Level Contributor
10,767 posts
206 reviews
4. Re: Slow boat from Luang Prabang to Huay Xia?

Hi pacifictraveller1,

I don't really understand the question. Nothing wrong with flying from Bangkok to Luang Prabang if that's where you want to go.

If you want to take the two day boat trip to/from LPB then either leave form there heading upstream and re-enter Thailand at Chiang Khong take the bus to Chiang Rai and fly back to Bangkok from there, or do it the other way around, fly to Chiang Rai, bus to border, join boat and fly back to Bangkok from Luang Prabang.

Cheers

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
899 posts
28 reviews
5. Re: Slow boat from Luang Prabang to Huay Xia?

Thanks Paulo...I get it now.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
57 reviews
6. Re: Slow boat from Luang Prabang to Huay Xia?

Can anyone give me some fairly current information about getting from Luang Prabang to Siem Reap other than flying. We are two young 60s and not really keen on 12 hour+ bus trips any more. What would we miss in Lao if we flew? We have about 10 days from LP before we are due to fly out from Chiang Mai so thought we would see Ankor Wat if possible.

lewes uk
Level Contributor
10,767 posts
206 reviews
7. Re: Slow boat from Luang Prabang to Huay Xia?

Hi,

I would only advise you flew. Lao Airlines and Vietnam have flights from LPQ-REP, the Lao flight goes via Pakse so takes a bit longer and the Vietnam flight is direct.

Any overland journey is going to take days, best part of one day to Vientiane, then overnight bus to Pakse, next bus down to the Lao/Cambodia border, then a long minivan journey to Siem Reap.

Cheers

Thung Chang...
Level Contributor
1,601 posts
13 reviews
8. Re: Slow boat from Luang Prabang to Huay Xia?

Visit the beautiful north of Lao and keep Angkor Wat for a next trip.

9. Re: Slow boat from Luang Prabang to Huay Xia?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2015, 09:45