We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

You can’t possibly leave Luang Prabang without doing ???

Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
4,715 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
You can’t possibly leave Luang Prabang without doing ???

The cook (my wife) and I will be in LP on the 29th of this month.

Can you, please! tell the things you consider the… just can’t miss things to do in Luang Prabang.

The things you did and the things you wished you should have done.

We have around a week to explore some of your ideas.

Thanks a bunch.

Have fun

Mentioned in this post
Luang Prabang
Luang Prabang
Luang Prabang Province, Laos
Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
9,008 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: You can’t possibly leave Luang Prabang without doing ???

Well, this could be a long list I guess. For me it is the following:

- Enjoying a sunset from a bar next to the Mekong, while having a cold beer Lao and some river weed snack

- Visitng the beautiful tempels

- Just walking the street of the Old Town with these amazing houses

- Heading to the KuangSi Falls

- Visiting the morning market in the Old Town. The smell, the colours and watching the people is just enjoyable

- For some people, go to the cooking class the Tamarin Restaurant offers. Absolute loved it

- Enjoying the great food you can get in the small local places (even just for a noodle soup

And most importantly, doing all the above in a relaxed manner to enjoy the atmosphere without rushing everything.

I was slightly sad that I didn't make it back to LP during my trip last year, but definetely want to go back..

lewes uk
Level Contributor
10,566 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: You can’t possibly leave Luang Prabang without doing ???

Hi,

I'd just add to Scotsman's excellent list.

- A walk up Mount Phousi; sunset is busy but it's quieter in the mornings and view is great

- A walk around Chompet district, if you have the time and energy a long walk around the back of the hill and up and over to the small temple on top of the hill, the view back over LPB is great and the walk back down to the ferry though the village is very colourful.

- Hire your own small boat and go for a trip on the Mekong as the sun goes down, the river banks are full of activity at the end of the day.

- Hire your own boat and head south on the Mekong during the day to visit some of the less visited villages

- Take a trip out to the golden temple and see the rather lurid murals

- Have a few leisurely glasses of wine in one of the several wine bars with outdoor seating on the main street and watch the early evening parade (wine is good and thankfully much cheaper than Thailand)

Cheers

Mentioned in this post
Mount Phousi
Mount Phousi
3,481 Reviews
Luang Prabang, Laos
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,994 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: You can’t possibly leave Luang Prabang without doing ???

inaspin, we did a couple of half-day classes that were great fun: a weaving workshop at Ok Pop Tok and a rice farming afternoon at the Living Land Farm. Ok Pop Tok is especially worth a visit, even if you don't book one of their classes. They have a workshop just out of town (15 mins by tuk-tuk) and it is a very pleasant way to spend time, sitting in their cafe overlooking the Mekong or browsing their shop and learning about the tradition of weaving. The Living Land Farm classes are great fun, run by such a lovely personable guy called Lowt Li, and afterwards you get a plate of assorted rice goodies (better than it sounds!).

We were also very impressed with the Traditional Arts and Ethnology Centre (at least I think that's what it was called) in town. The display of tribal gear is beautifully set out and informative. They also have a good cafe where you can sit and contemplate how good it is to be in LP.

For eating, the Mekong-side restaurants and bars come to mind, but don't forget the other river, the Nam Khan. It is quieter on that side and very, very pleasant. The Rosella Fusion is a great little restaurant sitting right over the river - bliss! Our favourite cafe on the main road is Cafe Ban Vat Sene - an excellent French colonial building and great people-watching point.

And best of all - ditto to Scotsman, who mentions just wandering the streets. The peninsula has a main road going down the middle, and from this road (Sakkaline Road?), there are many little lanes leading down to the two rivers. It is these laneways that provide the best wandering, just absorbing the laid-back style and feeling so glad you are there!

Mentioned in this post
Traditional Arts and Ethnology Centre
Traditional Arts and...
732 Reviews
Luang Prabang, Laos
Rosella Fusion Restaurant
485 Reviews
Luang Prabang, Laos
Le Cafe Ban Vat Sene
Le Cafe Ban Vat Sene
682 Reviews
Luang Prabang, Laos
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: You can’t possibly leave Luang Prabang without doing ???

Inaspin...we are just behind you all the way I think.Bus to Siem Reap today for a week.,then We will be in Chiang Mai in a week,then Pai,,then slowboat to Luang Prabang for a week,then VV 3 nights and Vientiane for 3

Mentioned in this post
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
Siem Reap Province, Cambodia
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
Pai
Pai
Mae Hong Son Province, Thailand
Luang Prabang
Luang Prabang
Vientiane
Vientiane
Vientiane Prefecture, Laos
Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
4,715 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: You can’t possibly leave Luang Prabang without doing ???

Thanks so much people.

I have written some your great ideas into our itinerary.

Some actually combine one suggestion with another.

Heading to the KuangSi Falls

somanymiles.com/2013/…

Cooking Class at the Tamarin Restaurant

http://www.tamarindlaos.com/

A Weaving Workshop at Ok Pop Tok

http://www.ockpoptok.com/index.php

A walk around Chompet district

http://hobomaps.com/ChomphetHikeMap.html

Take a trip out to the Golden Temple

…niu.edu/lao/watxiengtemple/default.htm

Rice Farming at the Living Land Farm

http://www.livinglandlao.com/index.php/en/

http://www.taeclaos.org/

The Rosella Fusion is a great little Restaurant

afar.com/highlights/…

Our favourite Cafe Ban Vat Sene

www.elephant-restau.com/cafebanvatsene.html

...........................ready or not here we come

Mentioned in this post
Traditional Arts and...
732 Reviews
Luang Prabang, Laos
485 Reviews
Luang Prabang, Laos
Le Cafe Ban Vat Sene
Le Cafe Ban Vat Sene
682 Reviews
Luang Prabang, Laos
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,994 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: You can’t possibly leave Luang Prabang without doing ???

Have a wonderful time, inaspin and The Cook. I sense you are enjoying the planning, and your list is making me quite excited about the prospect of our trip in January.

Maybe another thing to add - early morning monk-watching as they line up to collect alms. We didn't do this, but might in January, as it seems to be on several 'must do' lists.

Newbridge, Ireland
Level Contributor
1 post
174 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: You can’t possibly leave Luang Prabang without doing ???

If you have a little time to spare it would be good to head to Big Brother Mouse and spend some time with the locals speaking English. I spent 3 hours helping some monks with their schoolwork this morning and they in turn provided me with so much information about Lao culture, Buddhism and being a monk. I really recommend it, very enjoyable. There is an Ethnic fashion show at the Hive Bar at 7pm every night which is also pretty cool. Luang Prabang is so beautiful! You'll love it!

Mentioned in this post
Big Brother Mouse
Big Brother Mouse
194 Reviews
Luang Prabang, Laos
Luang Prabang
Luang Prabang
8. Re: You can’t possibly leave Luang Prabang without doing ???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 27 May 2014, 00:40
Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
9,008 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: You can’t possibly leave Luang Prabang without doing ???

Inaspin, instead of following the majority of tourists, watch some of the smaller alms giving with fewer tourists. I watched it at the temple next to to the former Royal Palace and next to the morning market. Unfortunately there are still some tourists who shove their cameras into the face of monks and alms giver (I would have loved to take the camera away from such thouhtless people), but it was nit that busy and a lovely thing to watch

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
710 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: You can’t possibly leave Luang Prabang without doing ???

Have a great trip and safe travel, Inaspin and look forward to your JBR. We are going to be in LP in January and so much looking forward to it. Have saved your Post with the web sites. Really informative. Thanks also to the other posters, have been trawling through for some time for ideas and have based our trip from Chiang Khong to LP to VV to Vientane before heading for Cambodia all on the information I have gleaned from T/A.

Mentioned in this post