We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excursions, tours in LP

turku, finland
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
Excursions, tours in LP

Hi everyone!

I am planning to be in Luang Prabang in the end of January. I haven't booked any excursions yet, but there are some companies to arrange four five days tours. Does anyone have any suggestions?? When visiting Cambodia few years ago, I just booked a driver who took us everywhere we wanted to, but is this common in Laos and LP?? If so, could you recommend any? I will be living in the city center. Is it easy to see some of temples on your own and go places just taking a taxi? What about Pak Ou caves?

I want to thank you beforehand for any kind of information

Regards

Anja

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,135 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Excursions, tours in LP

Hi Anja

It is very easy to visit any local agency once you arrive and book excursions, or hire a driver. Do that once you get there, you can see what they have to offer and will get a much better price than if you book something in advance online.

The town is entirely doable on foot, you can walk everywhere, it is not so big. You also have the option of renting bicycles, or taking a tuk-tuk form one side of town to the other. Pak Ou caves is a popular daytrip, boats go there every day. Same with Kuang Si Falls, you can take a mini-van there. Most hotels/guesthouses can arrange these excursions.

Edited: 21 November 2013, 03:16
turku, finland
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Excursions, tours in LP

Hi Maneki!

Thank you so much for the information. Yes, I won't book anything before I am there.

We love to walk and it is unnecessary to pay if you can do it on your own. This is so

great forum for travelers to learn from the country one is going to visit. Once more, thanks.

Have a nice time!

Anja

Quezon City...
Level Contributor
70 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Excursions, tours in LP

Like what the previous poster said, it's very easy to book for day tours once there. The main street in Luangprabang is practically teeming with travel agencies that can book excursions for you. This being said, the most popular excursions are to a) Kuang Si Falls and b) Pak Ou caves.

You most likely won't be able to do both on the same day. Suggestion, you can do Pak Ou Caves one morning (half-day tour) and Kuang Si Falls the afternoon the next day (half-day tour).

I was there not so long ago and wrote about my trip here. There's also a sample itinerary there somewhere incorporating what I've just said:

http://www.iwandered.net/2010/12/18/easy-daytrips-around-luangprabang-in-laos/‎

iwandered.net/2011/…

Quezon City...
Level Contributor
70 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Excursions, tours in LP

I posted a not-so-relevant link above and can't edit it.

This should be the correct link for Luangprabang: iwandered.net/category/laos/luangprabang

turku, finland
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Excursions, tours in LP

Hi ACC!

Thank you so much for your advises. I have understood that it is easy to walk in the city and find the most attractive temples by yourself.

These two “must” places are must for us too. We are going to book when there. What do you say about our time there. Is four days (three nights)

enough or should we stay longer? We haven’t book our flights yet, so everything is still open.

I read about your stay in LP. It is awesome that people want to share their experiences. It helps others to get an idea what to do. Thanks for that.

Really beautiful pictures!!!

Have a nice time!

Anja

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,135 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Excursions, tours in LP

Four days is plenty, IMO.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
75 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Excursions, tours in LP

Every year when I visit Luang Prabang I hire a boat to go down the Mekong, stopping off at various villages and the hilltop temple on the left bank. The cost for nearly a full day (nine a.m. to four p.m.) should be about 500,000 kip, with tip for the pilot. Pilots can be found along the Mekong River; negotiate a price (some ask for half payment up-front) and explain you want to go down river, not up. Most boat owners speak decent English and are extremely friendly and helpful. Boats seat up to around 12 people, so bring friends and split the cost! Best day-trip in LPB, hands down.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,267 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Excursions, tours in LP

have you gone overnite to phonosavan for a day excursion from there to plain of jars and how doable is that?

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,135 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Excursions, tours in LP

No, it is much too far a distance to go there for a daytrip. One should allow 2 full days to see the sights there, there is more to seee than just the jars sites.

Quezon City...
Level Contributor
70 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Excursions, tours in LP

agree that 4 days may be excessive for luangprabang alone. i did it in 2 or 3 days. but if you just want to relax and have a bit of down time, 4 days isnt a bad idea