We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Doctors and Hospitals in Luang Prabang?

London, United...
6 posts
Save Topic
Doctors and Hospitals in Luang Prabang?

I would be grateful if anyone can tell me if they know whether there are any good quality doctors and hospitals in Luang Prabang?

The reason I'm asking is because we would like to visit but will have a 3 month old child with us and do not wish to be far from medical help in any worse case scenario.

Any other advice on travelling to Luang Prabang with infants most appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,174 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Doctors and Hospitals in Luang Prabang?

Why do you assume a worst case scenario? medical care in LP is not great and for any real emergency you should head for Vientiane or Thailand

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,565 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Doctors and Hospitals in Luang Prabang?

Forgive me for asking but does your child have an illness that needs to be managed irrespective of where you are or is it a just a general question?

I have travelled with our young son ever since he was 3 weeks old and we flew across the Pacific with him hooked up to oxygen on the Qantas flight. Before we took off the Captain came down to make sure that we were happy with everything and the little fella was doing ok.

Got home safe and sound and we have been travelling all over the place and he is now 14 and next week we are about to head to Laos for three weeks.

Travelling with kids isn't that hard, you just need to make sure you don't overload yourself with gear, just take the basics, be aware that babies still need to keep some sort of routine so your travelling days need to be adapted and over and above just have fun and don't stress. If you keep looking for worse case scenario then it will ruin your holiday.

i usually have a lonely planet guide with me so all the basic info on hospitals, chemists etc are usually listed.

If you are still concerned then when you check in at the hotel get the reception desk to draw a map and list the phone numbers if this will provide peace of mind. Also have a copy of your travel insurance with all the relevant numbers on hand as well.

Have fun, your little 3 month old could just turn out to be the perfect traveller..

Luang Prabang, Laos
Destination Expert
for Luang Prabang
Level Contributor
455 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Doctors and Hospitals in Luang Prabang?

Unfortunately I would have to say based on hearsay (no firsthand experience)that LP is not well serviced in medical/hospitals. As a resident here I would jump on a plane and head straight for Bangkok if I thought I had anything seriously wrong with me. As beautiful a place as it is I would not be taking young children here in the event of something serious happening. We do see a few travellers with small children here but not too many.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
4 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Doctors and Hospitals in Luang Prabang?

I was there last month due to a bicycle accident, it was good service wise BUT its very 60's. They aren't as bad as I thought it would but I could promise the pricing is reasonable and well stated at the hospital. You pay for what your services you get. It wouldn't be able to handle any serious medical issues. My friend end-up getting 6 stiches and she did went for Xray. It is sufficient to handle minor incidents not major I reckon and I don't recommend you to proceed any and I wouldn't think they are able too.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Doctors and Hospitals in Luang Prabang?

Well, I'm just recovering from chronic food poisoning and it is February, 2013. My girlfriend went to reception asking for a doctor to be told there are none, and just a Chinese-run hospital. Thankfully you don't need a prescription to get any medication and the pharmacy she went to had a pharmacist who spoke amazing English. So just be careful.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
285 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Doctors and Hospitals in Luang Prabang?

In LP you are a relatively short plane trip from Bangkok where you will find excellent health care.

I imagine you are probably facing some social pressures from friends and family to justify the safety of taking a baby to Asia and not "expecting the worst" as some others here have suggested.

mosquito borne illness would be a risk given the proximity to fresh water, so you would need to take precautions for that.

Personally I wouldn't take an infant who had not received at least two doses of routine infant vaccinations. I also think if the baby is breastfed that would be preferable as there would be less concern over water.

take your own supply of baby paracetemol and a first aid kit. Talk to your family doctor for advice.

Have an awesome time, I would absolutely travel to LP with an infant (but like I said only a vaccinated infant)

7. Re: Doctors and Hospitals in Luang Prabang?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2014, 11:46
Get answers to your questions about Luang Prabang