We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shampoo cruise downstream

Sydney, Australia
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Shampoo cruise downstream

Does anyone have any reviews on this cruise? We are a family of 4 (boys aged 17 & 12) wanting to catch a slow boat to LP in December.

Also any recommendations for hotel In Pakbeng on route & in Chiang Kong for night prior to cruise?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shampoo cruise downstream

Hi there,

Though we didn't do the Shampoo cruise, we did the Nagi and it was fantastic. Many of the other tours leave and arrive in Pak Beng at the same time and all the boats looked pretty much the same (apart from the public ones...). Hopefully someone will have more about the Shampoo one for you.

As far as accom in Pak Beng, your tour may include it, but if not, check out the Pak Beng hotel review section for info. We stayed at Phetsokxay hotel as part of our tour and it was fine.

In Chiang Khong, I would recommend Elephant Crossing. We met a few groups who stayed there and they loved it - we chose the Nam Khong Riverside Hotel which was very average... We did see the Elephant Crossing and it looked lovely.

Enjoy!

- K

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,505 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shampoo cruise downstream

I think you will find it is called Chompoo Cruises, not "Shampoo". I have no doubts they are clean though.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
1 post
459 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shampoo cruise downstream

We have just done the Shompoo Cruise from Luang Prabang to the Thai Border. We can honestly say that it was one of the highlights of our trip to Laos. The boat is beautiful, the staff very efficient and friendly and to top it all the food is amazing. We booked on the internet through Teamworkz. their website is www.luang-prabang-hotels.com. We hope you enjoy it too.

lewes uk
Level Contributor
10,624 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shampoo cruise downstream

Hi Happychappies,

The Shompoo cruise boat is slightly different to some of the other boats in that it has a slightly bigger 'sun deck' area with cute padded benches around the edge, otherwise it's pretty much the same. The difference to say the Luang Say or Nagi boats is that the price doesn't include the crossing from Chiang Khong to Huay Xai (only a few baht anyway) or accomodation in Pak Beng, not really a hardship as most places are pretty inexpensive, but worth noting when comparing prices.

In Chiang Khong, Chiang Khong Teak Garden hotel is probably the best place, but the River View Hotel and Rimnam Guest House are fine too and all have a river view.

Cheers

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,713 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shampoo cruise downstream

we did the Nagi of Mekong trip this week, left Sunday morning and got into Luang Prabang about 5pm on Tuesday. It was jus wonderful and highly recommend, two days on a slow boat down the Mekong with only a handful of people on the boat including my teenage son. He was never bored, looked at the scenery, chatted to the other passengers, played cards and watched a couple of videos on our laptop.

For me it has been a highlight of our tour so far and can recommend this trip. Couple of things - the accom in Pakbeng is included in the cost. Nothing special but Pakbeng is just a stop over place but does have a really nice Indian restaurant and only cost a few dollars for each of us..

We stayed at the River House in Chiang Khong, For some reason not listed on Trip Advisor but found it on Agoda for a few dollars. When we arrived we asked if we could upgrade to river front room which I think overall cost $25.00 but highly recommend. Does not do breakfast but head to the Mexican restaurant and he does a wonderful takeaway, Fabulous coffee and a bacon sandwich made on homemade sour dough bread. Absolutely scrumptous Name of the place is Bamboo. The River House is not the same as the River View.

It was hard to find accom in Chiang Khong as lots of tour groups in town the same night but very happy with our selection. We borrowed the bikes and road around town after arriving from Chang Rai and the staff were incredibly friendly.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
655 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shampoo cruise downstream

The Shampoo Boat Cruise company is owned by the same extended family as the very highly regarded Villa Chitdara and Villa Chitdara 2 hotels in Luang Prabang. Different brothers own the different businesses but the family members I met while staying at Villa Chitdara 2 were all wonderful to deal with...very friendly and customer focused and never a hint of being ripped off.

The Shamppo Cruise Office in Luang Prabang is on the waterfront next door to Villa Chitdara 2. I haven't been on the cruise itself but feel confident your money would be safe and they would deliver what was promised.

And yes...the sign on the office really does say "Shampoo Cruise".

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
39 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shampoo cruise downstream

The correct name is Shompoo Cruise & the website is http://www.shompoocruise.com/

Their brochure uses a silly typeface that makes the "o" look like an "a" that may explain the error everyone is making. The Luang Prabang office is at 18/02 Ounkham Road facing the Mekong River. Their website has a blurb from Alex Chitdara, "Shompoo Cruise co-founder" which confirms the link mentioned by April in an earlier post between the cruise company & Chitdara guest house.

When I called in this week there was a very nice man with a french accent that explained the cruise options to me. I hope to do their cruise on my next visit so look forward to reading any reviews of someone who has done so.

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,505 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shampoo cruise downstream

As have already stated in a post. the cruises are also called Chompoo.

Refer to this website

luang-prabang-hotels.com/VIP_Slow_Boat_to_Lu…

http://luangprabangtravel.net/

The confusion is caused by minor differences between Lao and Thai pronunciations. The Thai brochure says Chompoo, the Lao brochure Shompoo. Both mean "rose apple".

9. Re: Shampoo cruise downstream

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 April 2012, 18:35
10. Re: Shampoo cruise downstream

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 03:47