We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in December

UK
Level Contributor
488 posts
234 reviews
Save Topic
Weather in December

Can anyone give some tips on weather in December? Does it get cold at night? Is it necessary to bring warm clothes?

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,460 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in December

Depends where. Very cool to freezing in Xieng Khouan for example. Pretty cool in Vientiane and Luang Prabang. I wear a pullover - the only time of the year that I do.

Mentioned in this post
Vientiane
Vientiane
Vientiane Prefecture, Laos
Luang Prabang
Luang Prabang
Luang Prabang Province, Laos
UK
Level Contributor
488 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in December

Thanks, I meant Luang Prab and Vientiane..is it cold during the day too?

Mentioned in this post
Vientiane
Vientiane
Vientiane Prefecture, Laos
Luang Prabang, Laos
Level Contributor
1,353 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in December

Sometimes but it's usually that the nights are much cooler to colder and the days can still warm up once the mist burns off by around 10-11am and the temps plummet again overnight (down to 7-9*C). But once in a while, the temps can get quite cold , even during the day, requiring a medium fleece day-long. But you can always buy more clothes/fleece for layering effect at the night market, like a souvenir Beer Lao fleece.

Luang Prabang
Level Contributor
85 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in December

Pretty much agree with SEAGypsy. Personally I really like the weather in LP from December through January. Cool enough for long sleeves, a top or even a fleece in the evening but warm/hot without being unbearable in the daytime. The nights can get a bit chilly and many restaurants light braziers or "fire-buckets" to warm the clients but it is not usually really cold (at least not by London standards!). The one thing I could do without is the cool morning mists, but as SEAGypsy points out these usually burn off fairly early.

Again, like SEAGypsy says you can buy fleeces etc. cheaply in LP to take back with you, so maybe bring one or two warmish tops and add to this if necessary once you arrive.

Check bbc.co.uk/weather/… for average figures...

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,460 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in December

You won't need to buy additional clothes. JAs you are used to cooler weather, unlike the Laos, just bring a light pullover and a couple of long sleeved shirts.

Mentioned in this post
Laos
Laos
Asia
6. Re: Weather in December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2010, 11:47
Get answers to your questions about Luang Prabang