We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it worth visiting Luang Prabang for one and a half days?

Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Is it worth visiting Luang Prabang for one and a half days?

Hi,

I am planning a trip to Cambodia, and Vietnam in the latter half of this month. Only recently I came to know about Luang Prabang, and might be able to manage a one and a half day stop over there. Is it worth going there for such a short duration. The tentative itinerary is mentioned below. Please have a look and advise.

Thanks.

Day 1 - Arrive in Luang Prabang around 6:30 pm

Day 2 - Take a guided tour or a reserved taxi, and see the major attractions within the town.

Day 3 - Return flight departs at 7:15 pm. Are we going to have enough time during the day to visit the Kuang Si falls? If yes, how much should a private taxi cost for going and there and returning to the airport?

Also, for attractions within the town will the guided tour be better, or should I take a taxi. How much should a full day taxi cost?

7 replies to this topic
Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,596 posts
95 reviews
1. Re: Is it worth visiting Luang Prabang for one and a half days?

This is too rushed. Save Luang Prabang for another time.

Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
2. Re: Is it worth visiting Luang Prabang for one and a half days?

Thanks for your response. The problem is that I don't know when that next time is going to be. What is the least number of days I need for Luang Prabang considering that I just want to get a feel for the place?

puerto princesa
Level Contributor
8,275 posts
539 reviews
3. Re: Is it worth visiting Luang Prabang for one and a half days?

Forget about the falls and you will be able to wander around the center of LP on your own as everything can be explored on foot.

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,596 posts
95 reviews
4. Re: Is it worth visiting Luang Prabang for one and a half days?

I would say 2 full days and nights are required. That is enough for me and will give you a good taste of the town.

Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
5. Re: Is it worth visiting Luang Prabang for one and a half days?

Thanks. As per your suggestion, I am extending my stay and will now be spending two and a half days there. How should I plan my time in order to make the best out of it? I would like to see the Kuang Si falls, and the Pak Ou Caves.

Regards

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,596 posts
95 reviews
6. Re: Is it worth visiting Luang Prabang for one and a half days?

First half day I would just have a bumble around town and familiarise yourself. Look at the night market etc

Day 2 take a tuk tuk to Kuang Si falls

Day 3 hire boat and go to Pak Ou caves. The caves themselves are not much, but the journey is nice

Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
7. Re: Is it worth visiting Luang Prabang for one and a half days?

Awesome. Thank you. How long does the boat ride to and from the caves take?

Reply to: Is it worth visiting Luang Prabang for one and a half days?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted