We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Price of tuk tuk

Chicago
Level Contributor
28 posts
160 reviews
Price of tuk tuk

Hello! We want to spend a day visiting the waterfall, the butterfly farm, and the buffalo dairy. In a perfect world, we would rent a scooter (we have a motorcycle license). However, it seems scams are everywhere here and we can't find any recent recommendations of a reliable shop. So...does anyone have any idea of the price we should bargain towards for a tuk-tuk to see these three things? Or a reliable scooter rental place? Thanks!

9 replies to this topic
Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,500 posts
42 reviews
1. Re: Price of tuk tuk

You could start by asking at your hotel, then negotiate.

Chicago
Level Contributor
28 posts
160 reviews
2. Re: Price of tuk tuk

Thanks but we are in an apartment, not a hotel. I understand we need to negotiate, but it is always helpful to know the going price. I know a rough price for just the waterfall but wasn't sure how much the additional stops will add.

Oklahoma City...
4 posts
3. Re: Price of tuk tuk

if you are enough persons it might be better to rent a mini van with driver instead. Tuk tuk is very exhausting and not comfortable on the way to waterfalls due to the very poor road conditions.

Edited: 26 October 2018, 15:55
Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,500 posts
42 reviews
4. Re: Price of tuk tuk

Hi ChicargoPair....

If you decide to rent a scooter, make sure you take photos of any marks/damage before you set off. Then you can't be scammed into paying for pre-existing faults.

If taking a tuk-tuk (or 'take-take' as many call them) bear in mind that you'll be quoted an over-the-top price to begin with. Offer half of what the guy asks for and take negotiations from there. These guys are keen to get business, but consider that their income is very low and, by western standards, costs are very reasonable anyway.

Edited: 26 October 2018, 20:18
Mumbai
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Price of tuk tuk

We rented bikes from the hostel we were staying at. The guys were friendly - explained how the scooters operated, and also showed us where the damages were already. On return, just checked fuel guage, tyres, and if the scooter was running fine before giving back our passports. Scooter rental may cost anywhere between 80k to 120k (for non-gear one) depending on power and condition of vehicle.

We also stayed at another hotel during our stay, and the hotel quoted 50k per person rate for visiting Kuang Si waterfalls (as we had already been there on our own, we did not inquire further on time duration, whether butterfly park was covered, and whether it was tuk tuk or minivan) - stating the price just to give you an idea. Renting whole tuk tuk might be costlier as hotel could have grouped us together with other pax.

Our experience - tuk tuk drivers can be bargained upto 70-80% of the quoted price easily. Might go below that, but we stuck deals in that range as that was our anticipated budget.

england
Level Contributor
709 posts
145 reviews
6. Re: Price of tuk tuk

I'm in LP now and yesterday we hired a tuk tuk for 6 hours should have visited the waterfall buffalo farm and butterfly farm but spent so long at the waterfall we only managed to fit in the butterflies.

It's an hours ride from town and cost us 250000 kip approx $30

For your own personal tuk tuk.

Brecon Beacons...
Level Contributor
212 posts
48 reviews
7. Re: Price of tuk tuk

Yes it was $30 for a days tuck tuck when I went so it sounds like the price is consistent

I might be wrong but I have a feeling tourists cannot hire scooters i am sure I remember reading it’s iligal

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,598 posts
95 reviews
8. Re: Price of tuk tuk

" might be wrong but I have a feeling tourists cannot hire scooters"

You are wrong.

Brecon Beacons...
Level Contributor
212 posts
48 reviews
9. Re: Price of tuk tuk

You are right I am wrong it’s Cambodia not Laos good job I did not state it as fact

Reply to: Price of tuk tuk
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Luang Prabang