We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 days in luang prabang

Denver, Colorado
4 posts
2 days in luang prabang

I have a few free days after my trip in Cambodia ends. I am considering flying to Luang Prabang. Would it be worth it for such a short time? If so what do you recommend? Specific tours you recommend? And also will it be safe for me as a single woman traveling solo?

Thanks!!

9 replies to this topic
winnipeg
Level Contributor
243 posts
63 reviews
1. Re: 2 days in luang prabang

I would definitely recommend going and you will feel safe there as a woman traveling solo. This summer there were a couple of solo female travellers on the Hanoi to Luang Prabang flight. We would see solo travelers throughout our 5 days there. There are a lot of tour agencies on the main street. The prices are about the same I think. Luang Prabang is easy enough to walk to a couple of main attractions in the town itself. If you have ever been to Banff, Alberta in Canada, Luang Prabang reminded me of there, except in Laos and with a French Colonial influence.

Las Animas, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,345 posts
8 reviews
2. Re: 2 days in luang prabang

Absolutely safe as a single female traveler, usual precautions as when traveling anywhere, but I feel a lot safer in SE Asia than I did living in Denver for 20 years. LP is a great town, and while two days will be short it will give you a taste and decide if you want to return. Spend a day just wandering through the town and the many wats, night market, a day trip to the waterfalls with a stop at the butterfly farm and you’ve filled two days. I’m looking forward to returning in December for a third visit.

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,598 posts
95 reviews
3. Re: 2 days in luang prabang

You will be safer than you would be in the US.

puerto princesa
Level Contributor
8,330 posts
549 reviews
4. Re: 2 days in luang prabang

No problem with safety in LP and if you stay in the center no need to take a tour as everything is within walking distance. You could join an early morning boat trip to Pak Ou caves where you will find 1000's of Buddha images that were only discovered not so many years ago.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,500 posts
42 reviews
5. Re: 2 days in luang prabang

It's rather sad that so many travellers from N.America feel the need to ask about 'safety'.

What Rufuscat says is absolutely right. I've been travelling around Asia for 13 years and met many solo female travellers. All happy, enjoying themselves and feeling 'safe'.

You'll enjoy Luang Prabang!

Edited: 16 October 2018, 17:19
Ontario, California
3 posts
6. Re: 2 days in luang prabang

Yes Luang Prabang is very safe much more than most of the US. Do not worry about this and i am sure you are going to enjoy your asian experience.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
600 posts
10 reviews
7. Re: 2 days in luang prabang

I felt it was pretty safe. We went to the Pak Ou Caves, night market, rode bikes to Phousi Hill, and witnessed monks receiving alms.

I wrote a trip report with our itinerary, photos, and some costs - might help you to get some ideas:

https://fanofblank.blogspot.com/2015/02/thai…

Miami Springs...
Level Contributor
24 posts
8. Re: 2 days in luang prabang

LP is such a relaxing town that you won't want to rush away - at least that's how I felt. There is plenty to occupy you in and around LP for two days.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
16 reviews
9. Re: 2 days in luang prabang

can anyone tell me the going rate to hire a car and driver from Vientaine to Luang Prabang

we would be going next month

Thanks

Reply to: 2 days in luang prabang
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted