We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luang Prabang to Vang Vieng

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
20 reviews
Luang Prabang to Vang Vieng

Hi, does anyone know if it is possible to book a private car from Luang Prabang to Vang Vieng. And if so, where we can book this?

We will be in Luang Prabang at the end of the month and although we are doing a lot of bus travel, we thought it might be good to do this section in a car.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

11 replies to this topic
Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
1,768 posts
97 reviews
1. Re: Luang Prabang to Vang Vieng

We took VIP bus from Vang Vieng to Luang Prabang, booked through desk tour. You may contact desk tour in Luang Prabang to arrange private car or ask your hotel. Check to get good price..

puerto princesa
Level Contributor
8,306 posts
549 reviews
2. Re: Luang Prabang to Vang Vieng

Your hotel will be able to arrange a car and driver. But i did it by minibus

Cairns
Level Contributor
2,162 posts
52 reviews
3. Re: Luang Prabang to Vang Vieng

We researched going LP to VTE overland by private car and driver with an overnight in VV but finally decided to fly instead and have more time in our destination

Even though we tend to follow the philosophy of "the journey is often as interesting as the destination" there are some routes, especially in some SE Asia developing countries such as this that we will avoid.

Some comments suggest the trip is not interesting, the road not in good condition, very steep and windy, and not recommended if it is wet.

Over 30 years ago we travelled from Srinagar to Leh on such a road through the ZoJi La Pass, now we err on the side of caution.

About 5 hours LP to VV is the often quoted timeframe.

Good luck and enjoy the trip

Yokohama, Japan
Level Contributor
23 posts
4. Re: Luang Prabang to Vang Vieng

Throwing such kind of question to us is nonsence!

Can you do it for yourself without asking to us?

Trave agencies= "arranging our travel" companies.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
95 posts
20 reviews
5. Re: Luang Prabang to Vang Vieng

Hi Vparke

I found this guy Si who was recommended by another post who was excellent. If you email him Mylaodriver@hotmail.com he will reply quickly and gave us his WhatsApp number. He took us from LP to VV four days ago and after our two days there took us to Vientiane yesterday where he lives.

I see a lot of people looking for best price which I understand but for me I needed to feel safe and also wanted the journey to be as relaxed as possible. Si did all this and more and my wife and 14 year old had a great journey. There has been a heavy storm which has caused a lot of flooding the last few days and Si was constantly assessing the road conditions as there was landslides spilling on to the road. They have plant to clear the roads but it still required sensible driving at these points where he was very safe. He speaks great English and answered many questions on Laos which was kind of him and asked me similar on my country. A hard working honest family man who is a gentleman. By the way he charged us $150 for our first leg which I think is the norm from what i hear but as I say for me safety was always in my choice. Have a good time when you get here we are loving it.

Cairns
Level Contributor
2,162 posts
52 reviews
6. Re: Luang Prabang to Vang Vieng

Hi

Have read there has been a lot of flooding this monsoon and the roads are in poor condition best check before you commit to car and driver as you may need to consider flying

Ciao

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
20 reviews
7. Re: Luang Prabang to Vang Vieng

Hi, thanks for your thoughts. We will definitely have to look into it, but unfortunately there is no airport at Vang Vieng. So at worst, we might have to bypass it.

We will wait and see.

Thanks

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,598 posts
95 reviews
8. Re: Luang Prabang to Vang Vieng

Do not go by car. The roads are in dreadful condition at the moment. More rain is forecast.

New York City, New...
2 posts
9. Re: Luang Prabang to Vang Vieng

Hi there!

I have been in contact with Si thanks to your post. My trip is not until February and I’m just wondering if you had any sort of confirmation from Si (besides him saying yes on WhatsApp) prior to your arrival.

Thanks!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
13 reviews
10. Re: Luang Prabang to Vang Vieng

Excellent info. Many thanks.

Reply to: Luang Prabang to Vang Vieng
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Luang Prabang