We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting the train in Alexandria

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
333 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
getting the train in Alexandria

We are a group of 5 going in to Cairo off a cruise for the day. Originally planned on grabbing a taxi from the gate but am now considering the train. There is a fair bit of contradictory information in the posts I have read, so a couple of questions.

1 Plan on getting trhe 8am train. What station does this depart from and how long to get there from the dock?

2 Will we be able to buy tickets on the day and how long will this take approximatley?

3 Plan on getting a late train back 9 or 10pm, will we be able to get a taxi to the dock easily and safely? Also to enter the port as I recall some places lock up at night?

Thanks Alison

Mentioned in this post
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
4,012 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: getting the train in Alexandria

You will need to get a taxi to the main train station. Allow up to 30 minutes but it should be less than this. Yes you can get tickets the same day. I've seen long queues there sometimes and really it's impossible to give an accurate estimate. If the queues are so long that you miss the train you'd just have to get the next one.

Timetable can be found on:

http://www.egyptrail.gov.eg/

For coming back there will be dozens of taxis to take you to the dock. I can't imagine you would have a problem entering the port at that time but I have not done it myself.

The following post has some additional discussion on the train journey between Alexandria and Cairo (and beyond).

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g295398-i9725-k242…

I hope this helps and you enjoy your visit.

Mentioned in this post
Alexandria
Alexandria
Alexandria Governorate, Egypt
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
333 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: getting the train in Alexandria

Thanks for your reply. Just a thought, we are 4 adults and one child, we would not be allowed in one taxi in Aus (max of 4 people) How does that work in Egypt? Thx Alison

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
3. Re: getting the train in Alexandria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2011, 12:45
Get answers to your questions about Alexandria